SCROLL DOWN FOR JANUARY 17 AND JANUARY 24

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ.  Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

January 17, 2010 (Second Sunday after Epiphany)

Isaiah 62:1-5

It is generally accepted that Third Isaiah is working off of the promises of redemption that are spelled out by his predecessor in Second Isaiah.  The prophet, now writing some time later, still holds fast to the promises of God.  This hope is in spite of evidence to the contrary (what Paul would later call “hope against hope” in his letter to the Romans).  Looking at our current context sometimes it can feel like our hope is against all reason—tough economy, increased hunger, wars, disease, climate change… the list goes on.

In spite of difficulties such as these, the prophet still hopes.  Not only does he hope, he also continues to make his case before God, reminding God of the promises made to Israel.  Not only will the prophet continue to cry out until Jerusalem’s “vindication shines out like the dawn, and her salvation like a burning torch,” he sets up sentinels to remind God of the promises (vv.6-7).  The sentinels will remind God and give God no rest until God makes good on the promises.

Today’s Psalm speaks of God’s steadfast love (Heb. hesed) and faithfulness.  We just read in Advent the promise of the Magnificat, that God will fill the hungry bring justice to those who have been trampled.  Many other texts speak of promises such as these.  We can remind God of the promises, giving God no rest until they are fulfilled.  Of course, this will also have an impact on us.  God will likely remind us of our role in addressing hunger and poverty.  We do God’s work with our hands.  How can we be sentinels to God?  To our nation?  To our community?  What might God be calling us to be and do?

Psalm 36:5-10 (8)

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

In this passage Paul offers correction to the church in Corinth as regards spiritual gifts.  Paul is concerned about divisions, urges unity on the basis of the unity of God.  This is a timely message for the ELCA.  At the Assembly last summer, the church decided to make a very bold commitment to address diseases that are particularly acute in poorer communities—HIV and AIDS and malaria.  While much attention has been given to the other decision (which also has some implications on our understanding of justice), we can be unified in our stance against hunger and poverty and the systems that perpetuate them.  How will we use our gifts as a church?  Can we be unified to use our gifts for the good of the world?  To do God’s work with our hands?

John 2:1-11

In this first sign that “revealed his glory” Jesus changes water to wine.  This is the first of many signs that will lead to the belief in who Jesus is and what he is about.  The sign, while at first glance appears excessive or even superfluous (more wine—that is also exceptional—for a bunch of drunk wedding guests?), also directs our attention to God’s abundance.  This abundance is graciously given as a foretaste of the kingdom to come (see, e.g., Amos 9:13-14, Hosea 14:7, Jeremiah 31:12).  Again, we can think about our gifts, what God has graciously given to us (even in excess).  How might we use them to God’s glory?  What might God be calling us to do with the time, money, and privilege we have been given?

David Creech

Director of Hunger Education, ELCA World Hunger

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ.  Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

January 24, 2010 (Third Sunday after Epiphany)

Nehemiah 8:1-3, 5-6, 8-10

This passage from Nehemiah is an important turn in the narrative of Ezra-Nehemiah.  To this point the return of exiles and the rebuilding of Jerusalem and the Second Temple have dominated.  Now with the construction complete and the people gathered, they recommit to the way of God.  Ezra reads the Law to the people (with interpretation—v. 8!) and the response is to feast and to share food (vv. 10, 12).  On the “day holy to the Lord,” when the people of God recommit themselves to God’s way, they commemorate by eating the fat (which is a good thing in cultures that do not suffer from overabundance of fatty foods as we do in the Global North) and drinking “sweet wine.”  We have much to learn about enjoying God’s gracious abundance and feasting with intention is a good place to start.  But the people did not just gorge themselves.  They also made sure to share portions with those who had nothing.  Could God’s word be calling us to do the same today?

Psalm 19 (7)

1 Corinthians 12:12-31a

This week’s text from Paul continues where last week’s left off—on the unity of the body.  Again, it is worthwhile to reflect on to what end we will be unified.  What will be the key identity markers we cling to as a people?

There is a key passage in vv. 22-26.  In spite of (or perhaps on account of) the tendency to ignore or disrespect those who are weaker, Paul tells the Corinthians of God’s economy in which the “inferior member” receives greater honor.  We would do well to remember God’s “preferential option for the poor” when we consider hunger and poverty in the world.  We would also do well to remember Paul’s assertion in verse 26 that “if one member suffers, all suffer together with it.”  What does this mean for the church in a world with over one billion hungry people?  How can we live into God’s economy and honor those who are hungry?

Luke 4:14-21

Jesus’ sermon in Nazareth begins his public ministry.  In many ways, the sermon spells out what his ministry will be about—bringing good news to those who are poor and setting free the oppressed.  We may want to offer a spiritual interpretation of this (as Matthew does in his Gospel) but Luke has concrete realities in mind (see, e.g., Luke 6:20, 7:21-23, 14:12-14).  It is also noteworthy that Jesus’ first word is “today,” which, for Luke does not refer to some day in the distant past, but to today, this day.  God is still acting on behalf of those who are poor and vulnerable today.  Today, how will we participate in God’s work with our hands?

This passage also ties into the text from Nehemiah—the reading and interpretation of scripture leads to care for those who are poor and vulnerable.  This presents a good opportunity to reflect on the message of the Bible and the over 2,000 verses that speak to poverty and justice issues.