Amos 7:1-6

God relents from punishing Israel

    This is what the Lord God showed me: he was forming locusts at the time the latter growth began to sprout (it was the latter growth after the king's mowings).  When they had finished eating the grass of the land, I said,
    "O Lord God, forgive, I beg you!
        How can Jacob stand?
        He is so small!"
     The Lord relented concerning this;
        "It shall not be," said the Lord.

    This is what the Lord God showed me:  the Lord God was calling for a shower of fire, and it devoured the great deep and was eating up the land.  Then I said,
    "O Lord God, cease, I beg you!
        How can Jacob stand?
        He is so small!"
     The Lord relented concerning this;
        "This also shall not be," said the Lord God.

ELCA's daily Bible readings are chosen from "Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings," prepared by Consultation on the Common Texts, © 2005. (Link to http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item.asp?clsid=167977&isbn=0806649305)

All text is from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyrighted, 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches USA, and is used by permission.  All rights reserved.  (Link to http://www.ncccusa.org)

Today's Bible Reading is also available for synchronization with your PDA  (Link to http://www.elca.org/pdafeeds)