March 16, 2012

ELCA remains engaged in Japan one year later
12-12-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) - When one of the strongest earthquakes on record
struck off the coast of Japan a year ago, the 4.2 million members of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) took immediate action,
contributing $2.9 million to ELCA Disaster Response.
     These funds have provided food and clean water, care and counseling
to help sustain earthquake survivors and support for programs that
address disaster preparedness, sustainability and the redevelopment of
communities and livelihoods.
     "Our church has walked in solidarity with our companion church in
Japan from the very first moments of this disaster, when tsunami and
nuclear crisis tragically compounded the impact of a massive earthquake,"
said the Rev. Rafael Malpica Padilla, ELCA executive for global mission.
     To share a snapshot of how the generosity of ELCA members has helped
make a difference, a "One Year Update" is now available online. The
resource highlights how gifts to ELCA Disaster Response have been used to
provide hope and healing.
     Of the $2.9 million contributed, the ELCA has allocated more than
$1.5 million to partners and companions in Japan. The ELCA continues to
work closely with the Japan Evangelical Lutheran Church, The Lutheran
World Federation and Church World Service to provide direct assistance to
survivors. The next phase of work will be to help rebuild communities
both physically and spiritually.
     The ELCA and the Japan Evangelical Lutheran Church are members of
The Lutheran World Federation -- a global communion representing more
than 70 million Christians. The ELCA is the only Lutheran church member
to The Lutheran World Federation from the United States.
     The ELCA has worked with the people of Japan for more than 100 years
through missionaries and through its partnerships with The Lutheran World
Federation and Church World Service.
     These relationships "enabled (for) a quick and well-coordinated
response that provided for the basic needs of survivors," said Malpica
Padilla.
     "Now that the cameras are gone, our church continues to walk with
the Japanese church to help individuals and communities rebuild their
shattered lives, (thanks to) the generous support of ELCA members. I give
thanks to God for the relationships that enable this faithful response to
human need."
---
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with 4.2 million members in 10,000 congregations across the 50
states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in
Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's
roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:
Melissa Ramirez Cooper
773-380-2956 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.ELCA.org/news