SCROLL DOWN FOR APRIL 1 AND APRIL 8

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads –sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

April 1, 2012 Palm/Passion Sunday

The Lectionary this week gives us a couple of choices. Since many celebrate Palm Sunday today (as opposed to Sunday of the Passion), I will comment on Mark 11:1-11. Though it should be noted that Mark 14:1-15:47 has some great vignettes (especially 14:1-9, which deals fairly specifically with the attitude we should have towards those who are poor—we are to be with them, doing for them what we can).

Isaiah 50:4-9a

Psalm 31:9-16 (5)
An interesting exercise would be invite the congregation to reflect on the Psalm as if they were a poor person (another option would be to think about the Psalm in the context of the current economic situation). If you were poor or in desperate need, what would you seek from God in your distress (v. 9)? How would “God’s graciousness” be manifest in your situation? What would it mean to have your “life spent with sorrow” and your “years with sighing” (v. 10)? How are those who are poor and needy a “horror” to their neighbors (v.11)? What would that feel like? In what ways are people who are poor forgotten, as if they were “one who is dead” (v. 12)?

In spite of all these afflictions and all the loneliness, the psalmist still professes trust in God (vv. 14-19). Do we have the same faith?

Philippians 2:5-11
In this hymn, Paul uses the example of Jesus’ ultimate self-emptying (kenosis)as a model for how we are to serve one another. This is radical call. Jesus, whom Paul identifies as divine, becomes a human, but not just any human, a lowly human, a slave who dies a criminal death. If this is the model of the lord we serve, what might that look like in our lives of discipleship? What would self-emptying look like? What cultural assimilations or human conditions need to be named as inhibitors of self-emptying? To what end should we empty ourselves?

Mark 11:1-11
The scene with the throng of people yelling “Hosanna” carries a joyous connotation for many of us today. It is a moment of celebration. The word in the NT is actually a transliteration of a Hebrew word that means “Save now!” (as in Psalm 118:25). The people are coming to Jesus, seeking salvation, which in the Bible implies holistic healing—physical, emotional, and spiritual.

It may be useful to recall that these people lived in an occupied land, with sometimes hostile overlords. We recall similar situations in recent events—Syria, Palestine, Libya, to name a few. These are places where those who are poor and vulnerable need salvation. Even in the U.S., systems and structures are in place that keep certain people struggling just to make ends meet. As God’s people, how can we participate with God in salvific acts? What might God ask us to do on behalf of those who plead, “Hosanna! Save us!” What sort of self-emptying might God be calling us to?

David Creech
Director of Hunger Education, ELCA World Hunger Program

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads –sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

April 8, 2012 (Easter Day)

Isaiah 25:6-9
This passage from Isaiah offers a beautiful depiction of God’s promised redemption. The rich imagery reminds us that hunger is not God’s ideal. You can use the imagery to remind your congregation of God’s desire for all to be fed, that doing God’s work with our hands includes feeding people. You could also use the imagery to reflect on how God (thus also we) still have so much to do to make this a reality. Covenantal language featured prominently in Lent, and here there are tones that the fulfillment is already at hand, and indeed a reality waiting to be experienced by God’s people.

Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24 (24)

Acts 10:34-43
There is an excellent reflection written by George Johnson (former director of World Hunger) on this passage in the Bread for the World lectionary resource, Hunger for the Word, edited by Larry Hollar. The book is available at www.bread.org, in the Lectionary Resources section of the Web site. There are links to reflections from the past three years that com from this book, look at first Sunday of Easter 2009 where Johnson offers a powerful reflection on change, a great Easter message.

Mark 16:1-8
Mark’s enigmatic ending is open to all kinds of fruitful reflection. The hope of the resurrection, of redemption can sometimes be difficult to maintain. The disciples were told earlier to expect Jesus resurrection, but they did not believe (see Mark 14:28). They simply fled (Mark 14:50). The angel reminds the women of Jesus’ promise in 16:7 (“just as he told you…”) but they were gripped by terror and amazement, they said nothing because they were afraid. This was the response of the disciples and the women, what will our response be? Can we hope? Can we act on that hope?

What are our fears that keep us from holding on to God’s promises and from acting in faithful response to the call? In this economic climate, when many are hurting, why is it so difficult to live out of our abundance?

One final note about the women: I find incredible their lack of belief in spite of their outward expression of piety and devotion. They clearly were committed to Jesus, acting in a very pious way. Yet when they were called to action, they simply refused. Is it somehow similar for us? On this most holy day, with beautiful pageantry and music and flowers, when we are called by God to go and proclaim God’s promises, will we be faithful?

An Easter litany adapted from Share Your Bread (copyright © 2000 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America):

L: In this season of baptismal rejoicing, let us call to mind the prophet’s vision: “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,

C: you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail.” (Isaiah 58:10a, 11b)

L: Let us pray. God of our salvation, through the waters of the sea you rescued your people from slavery and through the baptism of death Christ freed us from death’s hold. Let us who have passed through baptismal waters know ourselves to be blessed with power and grace,

C: that all might share at the feast of the Lamb!

L: Risen Lord, victorious over death: in compassion for your troubled friends you appeared in many places that they might dare again to trust. In a world of dire hunger and shattered faith, strengthen us, also, with signs of your presence;

C: that all might share at the feast of the Lamb!

L: Lord Jesus, hidden traveler along the road: at your companions’ request you stayed for supper, and they recognized you in the breaking of bread. Open our hearts to the words of those who walk beside us; move us to ask new friends to table,

C: that all might share at the feast of the Lamb!

L: God, whose will is well-being and life: you gave your apostles power to heal and to witness boldly before the rulers of the age. Inspire us also to speak with power for the sake of those who are hungry and poor,

C: that all might share at the feast of the Lamb!

L: Gracious God, whose mercy is everlasting: your followers in Jerusalem acted with one heart and soul, owning all things in common and dividing their goods that none might need. As we gather like them for the breaking of the bread, give us freedom toward our belongings and glad and generous hearts,