SCROLL DOWN FOR JUNE 3 AND JUNE 10

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads—sermon starters—among the themes of this day’s texts. (We’re assuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts). God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

June 3, 2012 (Trinity Sunday, First Sunday after Pentecost)

Isaiah 6:1-8
The last line of the final verse of this lection (verse 8) is quite familiar to us: “Here am I; send me!” The preceding and following verses are considerably more obscure. Indeed, when it becomes known that the rest of sixth chapter of Isaiah asks the prophet to speak in ways that people will not understand, the God’s call becomes quite sobering and confusing. No wonder Isaiah asks, “How long, O Lord?” How long indeed? How long will it be before people realize that following the way of God will not necessarily be easy. In fact, true discipleship takes God’s people directly into the broken, dark places of the world.

Some ideas to consider:
Psalm 29 (2)
Romans 8:12-17

John 3:1- 17
The story of Nicodemus is sophisticated, just as John’s theology is sophisticated. Imbedded in this story are central themes in Johannine theology: the son of man is sent as evidence of God’s love; the son of man will be “lifted up”; and the implications of those actions for the human family.

Some ideas to ponder:
Stacy Johnson
Author of ELCA World Hunger’s curriculum, Taking Root: Hunger Causes, Hunger Hopes

June 10, 2012 (Second Sunday after Pentecost)

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads—sermon starters—among the themes of this day’s texts. (We’re assuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts). God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

Ezekiel 17:22-24
Scholarly consensus seems to be that Ezekiel lived during Israel’s exile in Babylon, in the early decades of the sixth century BCE. This was a time of great despair and hopelessness for the children of Israel. The prophet responded to the end of life as Israel knew it and a completely unknown future. Ezekiel makes a powerful claim. He reminds Israel that everything that happens, happens under the rule of God. The experience of exile is not all there is because God continues to be active in the world.

Some ideas to keep in mind:
Psalm 92:1-4, 12-15 (12)
2 Corinthians 5:6-10, 14-17

Mark 4:26-34
Jesus was both direct and imaginative in his speech. Jesus did not hesitate to give pointed directions, such as in his clear command to “Go and do likewise,” to be like the Good Samaritan. Jesus also did not shy away from creative, imaginative speech when necessary. The Mark 4:26-34 lection is a case in point. Jesus did not give a lecture about the nature of the Dominion of God. Rather Jesus presents us with an image of the Dominion of God. We can then interact with the image, consider it from every angle, and hopefully craft a faithful response.

Some ideas to keep in mind: