SCROLL DOWN FOR JULY 1 AND JULY 8

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads—sermon starters—among the themes of this day’s texts. (We’re assuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts). God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

July 1, 2012 (Fifth Sunday after Pentecost)

Lamentations 3:22-23
The book of Lamentations was composed during the fall of Israel and the subsequent exile in Babylon. Lamentations employs powerful words of lament and despair. It also offers quiet but confident words of hope.

Some ideas to ponder:

Psalm 30
2 Corinthians 8:7-15

Mark 5:21-43
In Mark 5:21-43 the evangelist very skillfully weaves together two narratives into one: the story of the hemorrhaging woman and the account of the raising of Jairus’ daughter. These two stories are not put together by happenstance, but because each one of them informs the other. On the one hand there is the story of a frantic father, desperate for Jesus to heal his daughter. Jairus sought Jesus out and boldly requested his help. The father’s direct approach in the first story is in contrast to the second story in which a nameless woman timidly approaches Jesus, intent on only touching his clothing. In the balance of the narrative we hear two accounts of Jesus’ healing. This is a wonderful text, full of possibility for preachers to engage congregations in an exploration of the nature of healing.

Some ideas to ponder:

Stacy Johnson
Author of ELCA World Hunger’s curriculum, Taking Root: Hunger Causes, Hunger Hopes

July 8, 2012 (Sixth Sunday after Pentecost)

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

Ezekiel 2:1-5
Psalm 123 (2)
2 Corinthians 12:2-10
Mark 6:1-13
We often don’t expect much from the common or lowly. Jesus is rejected in his hometown. He is that guy down the street, son of Mary and brother of many (four brothers AND an unknown number of sisters?!). Paul in the letter to Corinthians wants to boast in his many great experiences. But God reminds him that power (or God’s power, depending on your read of the variants) is “made perfect in weakness.” In the same way, we see how God chose to be revealed in the world: as that guy down the street with all these siblings, to a single mom, in the backwoods of the Roman Empire. Is this still how God is revealed today? Is power really revealed in weakness? What would it look like to truly believe this? Would it change how we engage those who are poor and marginalized?

David Creech
Program Director, Hunger Education, ELCA World Hunger