July 9, 2012

ELCA college awarded Second Nature Climate Leadership Award
12-45-SC

      CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Luther College in Decorah, Iowa, was presented a
2012 Climate Leadership Award from Second Nature in recognition for the
steps the institution has taken to be a leader in reducing its carbon
footprint. Luther is one of 26 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
      "It was a terrific experience to be recognized," said Richard
Torgerson, president of Luther. "This is truly a team effort. Many people
have played a very important part in what we've achieved."
      Luther College received the award at a June 21-22 ceremony in
Washington, D.C. The award is one of 10 presented by Second Nature, the
lead organization of the American College and University Presidents'
Climate Commitment, and it honors colleges and universities in five
categories: doctorate granting universities, master's degree granting
colleges and universities, baccalaureate colleges, associate/tribal
colleges and special focus institutions/others.
      Luther College was one of two colleges awarded in the baccalaureate
college category. Torgerson said the award was the result of several
years of concerted effort to reduce energy consumption.
      "We've set some pretty aggressive goals for reducing our carbon
footprint," said Torgerson. "I think that climate change is something
that we should all be concerned about. It's part of our mission statement
about practicing stewardship of the resources we've been given."
      Luther was also one of the first colleges to sign on to an
agreement between colleges and universities to promote sustainability
through teaching and action, and they've made carbon neutrality a
strategic goal.
      In the summer of 2011, they installed a 1.65 megawatt wind turbine
on a highly visible bluff near the campus that now produces a third of
the college's electrical energy.
      They've also constructed a 3,780 watt solar panel near their
library and are working to build a second solar panel project that will
power its Baker Village residential complex, which is home to 100
students.
      Other energy saving initiatives on campus include the use of
biodiesel powered vehicles, improvements to their recycling and
composting practices, and making efforts to purchase 35 percent of food
service products locally.
      "We want to be able to provide a learning experience for all of our
students," Torgerson said. "We're hoping that when they go out of here
and make their place in society that they will be aware of how they can
live more sustainability."
      Information about Luther College is available at
http://www.ELCA.org/Growing-In-Faith/Education/Colleges-and-Universities/Find-a-College/Luther.aspx.
- - -
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with 4.2 million members in 10,000 congregations across the 50
states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in
Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's
roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:
Melissa Ramirez Cooper
773-380-2956 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.ELCA.org/news