August 27, 2012

ELCA leaders hopeful about citizenship for undocumented youth
12-56-SC/MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- As thousands of young people are now seeking legal
temporary residency in the United States, under the Obama administration's
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals process, leaders of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) are hopeful about this first step toward
citizenship for undocumented immigrant youth.
     "This executive action is a good move in the right direction,"
according to the Rev. H. Julian Gordy, bishop of the ELCA Southeastern
Synod based in Atlanta. "However, we will continue to work to see the
DREAM Act made law so that young people, who are Americans in every way
except place of birth, might have access to citizenship."
     Under a resolution approved by the 2011 Churchwide Assembly, the
ELCA, in partnership with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, has
advocated for comprehensive federal immigration reform and support of the
DREAM Act -- legislation that would provide a path for citizenship for
undocumented immigrant youth.
     As of Aug. 15, the deportation of undocumented immigrant youth has
come to a temporary halt and work permits may be granted to youth if they
have arrived in the United States before the age of 16 and are younger
than 30, do not have a criminal record, lived in the United States
continuously for at least five years and have some educational achievement
or military service, among other criteria.
     The Rev. Ray Tiemann, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern Texas Synod
based in Seguin, Texas, has offered to provide funding for youth in the
synod to pay the filing fee to enroll in the Deferred Action for Childhood
Arrivals process.
     "Several of our congregational ministries in the ELCA Southwestern
Texas Synod were excited about the Deferred Action decision," said
Tiemann. "We are working with them through our director for evangelical
mission, Pastor Jose Garcia, as they determine viable candidates, and we
will provide some gifts through designated funds toward the application
fee. This is one small step to help our youth remain active in our
ministries and contribute to our society, and we are happy to support
them."
     At Mission Luterana Agua Viva in El Cenizo, an ELCA congregation
under development in Laredo, Texas, the Rev. Mariana Mendez said there are
10 youth at Agua Viva that are moving toward applying.
     "This would be a whole new beginning for me. I will be somebody in a
world where I'm considered nobody," said one youth at Agua Viva, who was
invited by Mendez to share what acceptance in the process might mean to
her.
     And elsewhere in the country, ELCA congregations and synods are
looking for ways to aid their undocumented youth and their families
through the process.
     "This is an opportunity for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America to be who we already are -- an evangelical church with an eye for
justice," said the Rev. Ruben Duran, director for starting new
congregations at ELCA churchwide ministries.
     "The inaugural processing of deferred action is a step towards the
real solution for America -- comprehensive immigration reform," said Linda
Hartke, president and CEO of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service.
Based in Baltimore, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is one of the
nation's leaders in welcoming and advocating for refugees and immigrants,
working on behalf of the ELCA.
     Many ELCA leaders, however, were disappointed when Arizona Gov. Jan
Brewer signed an executive order that solidifies the ineligibility of
undocumented people for state or local public benefits, like drivers'
licenses.
     The Rev. Stephen S. Talmage, bishop of the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod
based in Phoenix, Ariz., was disheartened by the governor's opposition to
the process.
     "The response of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer to work in opposition of
the president's two-year program by denying the opportunity of qualified
program participants to receive a driver's license continues the volleying
between attempts at partial federal fixes and state leaders' defensive
maneuvering," said Talmage.
     "The victims of this political match are children and young adults,
most of whom have only known the United States as home. The call to
advocate for comprehensive immigration reform over-and-against piecemeal
actions continues to be needed," he said.
     ELCA congregations and Lutheran social ministry organizations provide
critical services to migrant populations, spread the word of welcome and
advocate for fair and humane immigration reform.
---
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with 4.2 million members in 10,000 congregations across the 50
states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in
Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's
roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:
Melissa Ramirez Cooper
773-380-2956 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.ELCA.org/news