December 15, 2012

Richard Foss named interim president of ELCA's Luther Seminary
12-77-MRC

      CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The board of directors of Luther Seminary in St.
Paul, Minn., named the Rev. Richard J. Foss to serve as interim president
of Luther, one of eight seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).
      Foss' appointment, effective Jan. 1, follows the Dec. 10
announcement that the Rev. Dr. Richard Bliese had resigned as Luther's
president. Bliese had served as president since 2005.
      "Pastor Rick Foss brings to his leadership as interim president of
Luther seminary marvelous gifts of wisdom, insight, faith, established
relationships and the knowledge of the ELCA from having served as bishop
of the ELCA Eastern North Dakota synod and on staff at Luther seminary,"
said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop.
      Having served as pastor of large ELCA congregations, "Pastor Foss
will keep before us Luther's commitment to prepare leaders to serve this
church in its many contexts, especially in our congregations," said
Hanson. "I believe he comes to this office recognizing the strengths of
Luther Seminary and the commitment of the board, faculty, students and
supporters, and with the high expectation of the Holy Spirit. I look
forward to serving with him."
      Foss has served as director of contextual learning at Luther since
2008. Prior to joining Luther, he was bishop of the ELCA Eastern North
Dakota Synod since 1992, and he was senior pastor at Trinity Lutheran
Church in Moorhead, Minn., for six years before becoming bishop.
     Ordained in 1971, Foss also served as pastor of Lutheran
congregations in Fargo, N.D., Minneapolis and Seattle. He earned a
Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn., and a
Master of Divinity degree in 1971 and a Master of Theology degree in 1984
from Luther. St. Olaf is one of 26 ELCA colleges and universities.
     "We are so fortunate to have found such a strong leader who already
understands and believes in the mission of Luther Seminary," said the
Rev. James M. Lindus, chair of Luther's board. "While we considered many
candidates from around the country, Rick was clearly the right choice."
---
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with more than 4 million members in nearly 10,000 congregations
across the 50 states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church
of "God's work. Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God
through faith in Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the
world. The ELCA's roots are in the writings of the German church
reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:
Melissa Ramirez Cooper
773-380-2956 or [log in to unmask]