December 15, 2012

ELCA expresses sorrow for lives lost in Newtown, Conn.
12-78-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) - Prayers of Intercession from the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in response to the school shooting Dec.
14 in Newtown, Conn., are now available at ELCA.org. A gunman shot dead
20 students and six adults before apparently killing himself.
      "Today we express our sorrow for lives lost in Newtown, and we are
being drawn together as a people. May this tragic moment become the
occasion to experience the depth of God's mercy and the love of Jesus,"
said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop.
      "May our mourning move us to join together to turn back a rising
tide of violence, for this is not the world that God desires for God's
children. In this season of Advent, we bear witness that our hope is in
Christ, the prince of peace," said Hanson.
      Prayers of Intercession are available at
http://www.ELCA.org/Growing-In-Faith/Worship/Prayers-of-Intercession.aspx on the ELCA's website.
---
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with more than 4 million members in nearly 10,000 congregations
across the 50 states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church
of "God's work. Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God
through faith in Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the
world. The ELCA's roots are in the writings of the German church
reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:
Melissa Ramirez Cooper
773-380-2956 or [log in to unmask]