 SCROLL DOWN FOR JANUARY 6, 2013

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!
The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads –sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!
January 6, 2013 Epiphany of Our Lord

Isaiah 60:1-6
John picks up the imagery of Jesus as the light of the world in his gospel. But it is through familiar language, illustrated here in Isaiah, which is used to describe the coming of God’s glory and deliverance. The message is cosmic in scope, but has particular significance for individuals and communities who find themselves trapped in the darkness of poverty, hunger or oppression. Since God’s light has come into the world in such a physical and real way through Jesus, it would not be too much to expect real deliverance from darkness—beyond temporary relief.

The verb “arise” in the first verse connotes an action of purpose. We can read it as a statement of readiness, as God’s glory is active in preparing the people of God, but it also carries a restorative tone. God’s light comes to restore dignity and reverse the damage the darkness has wrought.

Psalm 72:1-7, 10-14
Although the image of the magi rendering gifts to the Christ child is usually the most popular for Epiphany, the image of royalty in submission is ancillary in this psalm. Instead the righteousness that is attributed to the king is made known through the deliverance of the poor and saving lives from oppression and violence. These characteristics are not evident in the image of the kneeling magi, but the image does help redefine the dissonance in how royalty is recognized and how God’s righteousness is made known.

Ephesians 3:1-12
Paul speaks of the mystery of Christ as something which is not intended to remain a puzzle or in the dark, but should be made known in the world. The message Paul shares is the proclamation of inclusion of the Gentiles in the body of believers and partakers of God’s promise in Christ. Twice in this passage Paul speaks of his lot as the grace that has been given to him (vv. 2, 8). Likewise, we might think of the gospel as God’s gift which the church has been given to transmit and live in the world. How are we making known the mystery of God’s action in Christ in our communities? And what of it still remains a mystery that can bring freedom to those trapped in darkness?

Matthew 2:1-12
Matthew first presents King Herod as a frightened man. But it isn’t until after this pericope that we are told his fear will bring such violence and devastation. If the psalm for today paints an image of what a righteous ruler looks like in God’s eyes, the story of Herod shows the tragic ends to which our fear and hunger for power leads. This conflict between the reign of God and human interests features throughout Matthew’s gospel, and sets the stage for Jesus to live out this new kingdom. If the news of this kingdom produces fear in those comfortably in power, it brings joy to those who search and wait for its coming. As the magi found joy upon finding the mother and child, we too can witness the joy Christ brings to those who wait for a new kind of shepherd.

Henry Martinez
ELCA World Hunger