February 25, 2013

ELCA Bishop Joins Plea for U.S. Budget that Protects the Vulnerable
13-10-CHB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) - In a Feb. 25 letter to President Obama and
Congressional leaders, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), joined more than 100
national church leaders, calling for fiscal responsibility that models
our nation's values and is mindful of the moral obligation to protect
those most vulnerable.
      "The measure of the necessary work of debt and deficit reduction
should not be political gain or loss, but whether or not fiscal decisions
reflect the needs of all people, particularly for vulnerable people. I
pray for public officials and ask them to remember their God-given call
to servant leadership and to forego irresponsible brinksmanship," Hanson
said.
     The letter is the latest effort by Circle of Protection, an
initiative formed by national Christian leaders and heads of relief and
development organizations to protect programs that serve those living in
poverty.
      "The charter of the Circle of Protection is a powerful witness that
people of faith join together in our commitment to those who are hungry
and live in poverty," Hanson said.
      The appeal pleads for an end to the constant budget battles of the
past two years and strongly urges the president and Congress to work
together to end poverty and hunger.  The communication encourages the
nation's leaders to consider the government's responsibility to people
living in poverty and to recognize that providing opportunity and
encouragement to those living on the margins of society benefits the
country's overall fiscal health.
      Kathryn Lohre, director for ecumenical and inter-religious
relations at ELCA churchwide ministries, also endorsed the statement as
president of the National Council of Churches in Christ.
      "It is a scandalous reality that today more than one in seven
Americans (46.2 million people) -- and one in five children -- are living
in poverty. Budgets are moral documents, reflecting our core values and
commitments. For this reason, we urge our elected leaders to continue to
seek financial health for this nation while protecting those who are
living at its margins, those whom Jesus called 'the least of these,'"
Lohre said.
      Should Republicans and Democrats fail to reach a budget compromise,
mandated cuts in domestic and defense spending are set to go into effect
March 1. Although the cuts, also known as the sequester, will not impact
Medicaid or Social Security, many social safety-net programs will be
affected.
      "Our leaders are currently debating about who wins politically on
these important issues rather than finding a constructive compromise.
There are real people behind words such as 'sequester' and 'debt
ceiling' -- rural families, working single-mothers, seniors, veterans and
children -- and they deserve real action on debt reduction so that we can
proceed to meaningful discussion about economic opportunity, job creation
and community transformation," said the Rev. Andrew Genzsler, director
for ELCA advocacy ministries.
      The letter offers prayers and faith-grounded counsel, asking the
country's leaders to shift their collective focus from the politics of
the budget process to our country's most vulnerable people.
      "This is not only a good thing to do, it is the right thing to do,"
said Lohre. "The fiscal showdowns of recent months fail to honor the fact
that 46.2 million of us are already living on the brink. This is not
acceptable to us, nor is it acceptable to God. We must find another way
forward -- one that honors the dignity and worth of all of God's
children. We pledge our partnership and prayers as we seek together to
become a nation where there is truly enough for all."
      The full text of the letter is available at
www.circleofprotection.us.
---
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:

The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with more than 4 million members in nearly 10,000 congregations
across the 50 states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church
of "God's work. Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God
through faith in Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the
world. The ELCA's roots are in the writings of the German church
reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:
Candice Hill Buchbinder
773-380-2877 or [log in to unmask]