Title: ELCA College President Schmalenberger
Resigns
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 12, 1996

SCHMALENBERGER RESIGNS

The Rev. Jerry L. Schmalenberger has
announced that he will retire as president
of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary,
Berkeley, Calif., on Sept. 1, 1996.  "There
is no compelling negative reason at PLTS or
elsewhere for my decision to resign."
Schmalenberger stated in a Feb. 17 letter to
the PLTS board of directors.  "I seek a
quieter lifestyle than that of the seminary
presidency, and I want very much to live for
a while off center stage, out of the
spotlight -- much more simple than at the
present time.  It is my call to a different
discipleship."  Schmalenberger quoted a
study of seminary presidents by Erskin
Clarke which stated the main reasons for
their leaving as ..."the accumulation of
grievances by others, the accumulation of
fatigue by the incumbent, and having reached
the age of last opportunity."  He stated
those fit his situation perfectly.
Schmalenberger came to PLTS in 1988 from 29
years as a parish pastor, his last parish
being  St. John's Lutheran Church in Des
Moines, Iowa.  In the past eight years he
taught parish ministry classes at the
seminary and traveled widely over the
western United States, preaching nearly
every weekend in a local congregation and
enlisting financial support and new students
for the seminary.

For information contact: Ann Hafften, Dir.,
ELCA News Service, (312) 380-2058; Frank
Imhoff, Assoc. Dir., (312) 380-2955; Lia
Christiansen, Asst. Dir., (312) 380-2956