Title: Bishop Backs Campaign Finance Reform
ELCA NEWS SERVICE - NEWSBRIEF

March 12, 1997

BISHOP BACKS CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM

The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America, added his name to a list of 36
religious leaders asking Congress to "support campaign finance
reform as one of the first acts of the new Congress."  The
National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. released the
open letter Feb. 13.  "As religious leaders we believe in
government's role in seeking justice for all people and in
building the common good.  Justice cannot be achieved unless the
rules governing the democratic process are just and fair to all,"
it said.  "Campaign finance reform is not simply a political or
public relations dilemma but a moral matter," the letter
continued.  "The present system of financing elections has become
a major scandal."  The religious leaders said they recognized the
fact that they're asking politicians to reform the very system
that put them in office.  "However, we see the inordinate
pressure to raise funds continuing to impede the public service
that those holding office have been elected to give.  Without
substantial reform we see further erosion in the public trust."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html