Title: Rites Proposed for ELCA Lay Ministers
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 17, 1997

RITES PROPOSED FOR ELCA LAY MINISTERS
97-09-022-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The board for the Division for
Congregational Ministries, Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, has sent to the ELCA Church Council the proposed rites
for the installation and commissioning of associates in ministry
and for the consecration and installation of diaconal ministers.
The action was taken at its meeting here Feb. 28-Mar. 1.
     Associates in ministry include church staff workers, lay
professionals and day school teachers that serve in
congregations, agencies, schools and institutions of the
ELCA.  They have four primary areas of service: education, music
and the arts, administration service and general ministry.
Associates in ministry are called and commissioned for service.
Their theological studies include Bible, church history,
Lutheran theology and confession.
     Diaconal ministers work in either church or secular
settings, "under call" from an ELCA congregation, synod or
churchwide ministry, helping the church to "serve in
response to God's love to meet human needs."  After satisfying
academic standards in theology and a secular specialization,
diaconal ministers are called and consecrated for
service.  The ELCA adopted this form of lay ministry in 1993.
     The Rev. Paul R. Nelson, ELCA director for worship, said,
"The proposed rites are essentially new rites for associates in
ministries."
     "We have used rites from our predecessor church bodies to
celebrate the commissioning and installation of associates in
ministry," said Nelson.  "We have now the completion of the
church's supporting documents for associates in ministry," he
said.
     The liturgical review of these proposed documents was
carried out by Nelson in consultation with the ELCA's Division
for Ministry and reviewers including rostered
associates in ministry, ordained pastors and others.
     "Comments from the reviewers, in addition to their
evaluation forms and ratings, have been considered carefully and
many have been integrated into the proposed rites,"
said Nelson.
     If the proposed texts are positively received by the Church
Council, these rites will become the commended rites of this
church for commissioning and installing associates in
ministry," he said.  Commendation are "resources that have
undergone extensive liturgical review and are now commended for
general use in the church."  The Church Council will
meet here April 3-6.
     "I am glad that the church is lifting our sisters and
brothers who serve as associates in ministry," said Beth Ann
Lectenberger, Christ Lutheran Church, Bethesda,
Md.  "The ritual of commissioning and consecrating should be as
rich and meaningful as the celebration of our other rostered
leaders," she said.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html