Title: MOORE TELLS ELCA YOUTH: YOU ARE CHILDREN OF GOD
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 30, 1997

MOORE TELLS ELCA YOUTH: YOU ARE CHILDREN OF GOD
97-YG-15-MR

     NEW ORLEANS (ELCA) -- "You are children of God," the Rev. Gladys G.
Moore, Jersey City, N.J., told thousands of young people at the Louisiana
Superdome.  "We were born to manifest the story of God that is within us.
This manifestation exists in everyone," she said.
Moore preached on the fourth day of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America's Youth Gathering here July 23-27.  She is assistant to the bishop
of the ELCA's New Jersey Synod.
     "Why are we here, 30,000 of us, listening to the ancient story of
God?" Moore asked.  "Someone talked about the resurrection of Jesus ... and
now we have an incredible crowd of believers."
     "I do love to tell the story," she said.  "It is about the love of
God.  God gave the only begotten Son (Jesus Christ) so people could have
eternal life.  What a story we been privileged to tell tonight."
     "God's grace, mercy and forgiveness have been extended to all
people," Moore said.  "God said,  You are my beloved sons and daughters,
and with you I am well-pleased.'  Let your light so shine to others so that
they see your good works."
     The gathering's theme was "River of Hope."  Moore said, "Come,
everyone who is thirsty."  After Moore spoke, 29 young people were baptized
into the Christian faith by their hometown pastors and another 14 affirmed
their baptisms earlier in the year.  The Rev. Paul J. Blom, bishop of the
ELCA's Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod, was the presiding minister.
     "It is here at the baptismal font that God created a people.  We are
restored into right relationship.  God makes us a family.  We are kin; we
are family," Moore said. "It is here, brothers and sisters, at the
baptismal font that we are named and claimed.  We are born again," she
said.  "God creates anew."
     The Western States Servant Band and Dr. Abe Caceras and the River's
Way provided music for the worship service.  Caceras is the minister of
music at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Milwaukee,  and director of
Worldhouse Cross-Cultural Music Productions.  Tekeisha Bowman, 15, St. Paul
Lutheran Church, Atlanta, Georgia, told the story of creation (Genesis 1:1-
2:4a) through liturgical dance.  God was portrayed as a young African
American woman creating the world.
                            -- 30 --

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director, News and Information
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html