Title: Lutheran Vespers Turns 50
ELCA NEWS SERVICE - NEWSBRIEF

July 16, 1997

LUTHERAN VESPERS TURNS 50

Lutheran Vespers, a radio ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America,
celebrates 50 years of programming.  Lutheran Vespers began as an evening radio
broadcast on WNAX, Yankton, S.D., in 1947.  Today Lutheran Vespers is carried on over
200 stations in the United States, Africa and Guam. Hosted by master storyteller and
author the Rev. Walter Wangerin, Jr., Lutheran Vespers is heard weekly and features
sacred music, both traditional and contemporary, complementing Scripture readings and
homilies.  "Walt speaks about our day-to-day living," said Irene Stangland, ELCA director
for program services.  "His words help us to find direction in our spiritual journey.  Walt is
forthright and clear about life's experiences.  There is a real lesson to be learned when
listening to his words," said Stangland.  Lutheran Vespers will celebrate its anniversary at
the ELCA's Churchwide Assembly in Philadelphia August 13-20.  August 16 has been set
aside as "the day to give thanks" for Lutheran Vespers.  Wangerin will speak at a gala
banquet that evening.  Other anniversary plans include a celebration at Central Lutheran
Church, Minneapolis, Oct. 24, and two seven-day "Alaskan Summer Solstice Cruises" in
June 1998.  Wangerin will be the storyteller at both events.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html