Title: ROHR TELLS ELCA YOUTH: "TAKE RISKS
AND RESPOND"
ELCA NEWS SERVICE
July 25, 1997

ROHR TELLS ELCA YOUTH: "TAKE RISKS AND
RESPOND"
97-YG-03-KD

     NEW ORLEANS (ELCA) -- Steve Rohr told
thousands of young people at
the Louisiana Superdome, "Responsibility
means our ability to respond."
Rohr spoke to the Youth Gathering of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, meeting here July 23-27.  The event
has brought 30,000 teens to
the city for celebration and learning.
     "We all have to reach, to risk, to put
ourselves on the line," said
Rohr, "and sometimes that means doing the
unpopular thing."  But it is our
responsibility to reach out and keep our
promise to Jesus Christ, he said.
Rohr recalled a time when he was confronted
by fear.  He had to take a
risk, he said, and overcame his fear with
the help of a friend.  His
experience turned into one of powerful
witness, he said.
     "With one kiss Judas betrayed our
Savior."   Rohr said, "Fear
prevented the disciples from keeping their
promise to Jesus.  Fear can keep
you from keeping your promise to Jesus."
     Rohr, 27,  is a member of St. Francis
Lutheran Church, San Francisco,
and director of operations at
Wollberg/Michelson Personnel.  In 1992 he
participated in an ELCA youth leadership
program on public speaking, "Life
Every Voice."  He led a pre-gathering
workshop on "Public Speaking for
Wimps."
     "I come from a  unique' family," Rohr
said.  He is Japanese-American
and grew up in a multicultural family with a
number of racial groups
represented among his siblings and parents.
     They lived in Montana and northern
Idaho at a time when adoption of
minority kids was not well accepted, Rohr
said.  He encountered neo-Nazi
groups.  "Charming, those neo-Nazis," he
said sarcastically.  "Racists and
homophobes were always the loudest," said
Rohr, "and I wondered when the
good people would start making some noise."

     The young people cheered and clapped,
making noise to claim their
identity among "the good people."  Rohr said
his parents were "the good
people," for him.  They are his heroes and
taught him: "Never apologize for
who you are, and never be afraid!"
     Rohr told the young people: "It is time
to respond and make some
noise about prejudice against minorities,
women, young people, gay and
lesbian people, the mentally and physically
disabled, and even the earth.
It is time because there is not a moment to
lose, a minute to waste."
     "We can't stop until our young women
believe they can be bishop of
this church or president of the United
States, we can't stop until our
handicapped brothers and sisters have access
to every building, park and
playground."  Rohr continued, "We need to
take the risks that will bring us
that freedom, because that, my friends, is
truly what life's all about."
     The Superdome became a church as the
assembled youth celebrated Holy
Communion.  The Rev. Gladys Moore, assistant
to the bishop in the ELCA's
New Jersey Synod, was the presiding
minister.  The evening closed with
music from the Augsburg Gospel Choir and
Band from Augsburg College,
Minneapolis.
                            -- 30 --

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director, News and Information
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html