Title: Lutheran and Episcopal Seminaries Ratify Agreement
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 27, 1998

LUTHERAN AND EPISCOPAL SEMINARIES RATIFY AGREEMENT
98-020-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) and a seminary of The Episcopal Church have ratified an
agreement that outlines "13 avenues of cooperation."  Trustees of the
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (LTSP) approved the agreement
last fall, and trustees of General Theological Seminary, New York, endorsed
it Jan. 12.
     "This covenant is a giant step forward in the evolving relationship
between two fine theological schools," said the Rev. Robert G. Hughes, LTSP
president.  "The objectives articulated -- theological unity, mutual
enrichment and mission -- are both commendable and essential in this
challenging time."
     In 1997 the ELCA Churchwide Assembly narrowly rejected and the
Episcopal General Convention overwhelmingly approved a "Concordat of
Agreement" -- a proposal for full communion between the two church bodies.
The Lutheran assembly later rededicated itself to establish that
relationship in 1999.  "It is our hope and prayer that the ties that bind
and strengthen our seminaries will serve to draw our church bodies closer
to the Concordat between our two churches," said Hughes.
     A jointly-sponsored program to develop Latino professional leaders is
one of the "avenues of cooperation."  The agreement is also seen as a way
to make it easier for students to prepare for ordination.  Other activities
include the appointment of visiting faculty members between the schools and
joint publishing ventures.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html