Title: ELCA-LCMS Summit Planned for August
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 15, 1998

ELCA-LCMS SUMMIT PLANNED FOR AUGUST
98-17-106-DM*

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) -- The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and the Rev. A.L. Barry,
president of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod plan to meet in Chicago on
Aug. 17 to discuss how to foster more communication between their two
churches, especially on theological issues.
     "We are meeting to see if we can arrange for a different group to
discuss theological issues," Anderson said here April 16, at the end of an
all-day meeting of the Committee on Lutheran Cooperation (CLC).  By
"different group" he meant a group other than the CLC.
     The CLC meets twice a year and is comprised of six leaders --
including Anderson and Barry -- from each of the two church bodies.
     Anderson and Barry both have expressed an interest in theological
discussions between their church bodies, especially as the two have seen
increasing theological divisions between them.
     As examples of what might be discussed by a group appointed by the
two church leaders, Anderson cited how Lutherans should "view and relate to
other Christian bodies" and whether lay leaders could be used to supply
congregations that are unable to call or support a pastor.
     Barry said he wants to wait until he meets with Anderson before
outlining his thoughts on the form of any assignment to be undertaken by a
joint LCMS-ELCA discussion group.
     Differences between the two Lutheran bodies have become more apparent
-- and the topic of more discussion -- since last summer, when the ELCA's
Churchwide Assembly approved full communion between the ELCA and three
Reformed churches -- the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in
America and United Church of Christ.
     How LCMS leaders have characterized those differences became an issue
at last month's CLC meeting as well.  Quoting from a pamphlet by Barry on
ELCA-LCMS differences, Anderson said ELCA leaders have been "deeply
disturbed" by it and other LCMS commentary on the ELCA and "do not feel
that we have been fairly represented, but have been characterized in a way
that put us in the most negative light."
     The pamphlet, "What About ... The Differences Between the ELCA and
the LCMS," Barry maintained, "very accurately represents the action taken
by the ELCA."  He said it was prepared in response to questions he was
receiving as a result of the ELCA's full-communion vote last year.
     "I would not see that we were putting a negative spin on it, other
than how we view the adoption of the ecumenical proposals," Barry said.
     "This discussion is a strong case ... that we need to be talking to
one another," said Dr. Samuel H. Nafzger, executive director of the LCMS
Commission on Theology and Church Relations.  He added that the discussion
should be an impetus for additional LCMS-ELCA talks, such as those planned
for August.

     * The Rev. David L. Mahsman is the director for News and
     Information Services at The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html