To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Christian brothers and sisters,

Lutheran Disaster Response is responding to flooding conditions in
southwest Iowa.  Over 13 inches of rain fell on Saturday and Sunday, June
13-14, and heavy rain continues even now as I write this report to you.
The areas most affected are in Cass and Montgomery Counties.  The entire
town of Griswold was evacuated, and 200 houses are affected.  In Coberg, 20
families were evacuated and their houses were also flooded.  Mr. Jim
Almquist, Rural Empowerment Director of Lutheran Social Service of Iowa,
reports that homeowners, farmers, and the business community are "in a real
mess." Through LSS-Iowa, Lutheran Disaster Response is providing for
immediate and basic life needs.

Please hold in your prayers all who are affected by this latest disaster.
Your donations will enable the church to continue its response to Iowa, and
to many other areas throughout our country that continue to be affected by
this year's severe spring weather.

To contribute:  ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
                PO Box 71764, Chicago, IL  60694-1764

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Wed, Jun 17, 1998, at 12:19 pm)
Associate Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
Internet address: [log in to unmask]
For more information, click on our web site:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster