To: [log in to unmask]

Dear friends in Christ,

"Some people call it serendipity.  I call it God's grace."  This is how
Presbyterian pastor Ray Tear summed up the flood recovery efforts in his
small town of Cuero, Texas.

I have just returned from several days in Texas, where in October 1998
forty-one counties in the south central and southeastern state were
affected with half a billion dollars in flood damage.  Since then, Lutheran
Disaster Response (a cooperative ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America and The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod) has been working
with Lutheran Social Service of the South (Rev. Norman Hein, coordinator)
in two interfaith efforts - Victoria County Interfaith (in Victoria) and
DeWitt County Cares (in Cuero).  For the past year Dale and Jean Peercy
have been working on behalf of LDR to provide volunteer coordination and
site work preparation.  Dale worked with 424 individual situations in
Cuero, and Jean with 400 in Victoria, and they have 30 more to complete.

The church's response to the '98 Texas floods will be concluded in June.
It was not serendipity that, as Pastor Hein reports, almost $2.6 million of
long term recovery was provided by the seven interfaiths, and another
estimated million dollars of assistance provided directly by church
denominations and their local judicatories.  It was not serendipity that
enabled the interfaiths to serve 3,175 clients and brought 5,789 volunteers
over these past 18 months.  It was God's grace.

As I met with local pastors, volunteers, and people just now returning to
their homes (or still waiting for work to be completed), I heard the same
words again and again:  "thank you for being here for the long-haul" -
"thanks to so many who came to us to help" - "thanks for showing God's
love."  On Monday I was privileged to participate in a CRWRC (Christian
Reformed World Relief Committee) "Last Nail Ceremony" at the home of Pedro
and Mina Guevara.  The Guevara family just moved back into their repaired
home.  Their house was crowded with CRWRC "green shirt" volunteers, family
members, their family pastor and spouse, and LDR folks.  Amid hymns,
prayers, and remarks were smiles and tears.  "The love of God is great,"
said Mina at the conclusion of the ceremony.  It was not serendipity that
brought us together in the Guevara home.

Now, as the Texas flood response concludes, I want to thank you for your
support these 18 months - thanks for your powerful prayers for the disaster
survivors and those who came to provide help; thanks for your generous
contributions, which enabled strong support for the Lutheran and interfaith
efforts; thanks for your gracious volunteering in the hot humid Texas
climate.

I have asked the Peercys to move on to North Carolina at the end of June,
where they will bring their faith and skills to help our brothers and
sisters in Christ who are recovering from the destruction of Hurricane
Floyd.  And I will continue to ask you, too, dear friends in Christ, for
your continuing prayers, contributions, and volunteering.

For it is not serendipity that brings God's people together to live out
their faith active in love.  It is God's grace.

Yours in Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Wed, May  3, 2000, 4:25 pm).  Director for
  ELCA DOMESTIC DISASTER RESPONSE (Division for Church in Society) and
  LUTHERAN DISASTER RESPONSE (a cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LC-MS)
  8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822 FAX: 773-380-2493
Please visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster