To: [log in to unmask]

Dear friends in Christ,

Domestic Disaster Response of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is
responding to a technological disaster in Hutchinson, Kansas.  In January a
natural gas explosion in a mobile home park destroyed one home and killed
two people.  Several gas geysers also spouted nearby.  Local officials
evacuated people from 191 homes and 43 businesses in the area.

An ELCA grant was sent to the interfaith "Hutchinson and Reno County
Recovery Team" (the Rev. Tim Carey, Emanuel Lutheran Church, moderator).
Lutheran Social Services of Kansas/Oklahoma (Bernice Karstensen, President)
is overseeing the response through the Rev. Christine Iverson (Lutheran
Disaster Response coordinator for Kansas and Oklahoma).

Assistance is offered for basic needs (food, medicine, clothing),
intermediate needs (rental assistance, expanded medical care, supplies),
and special needs (relocation costs, home repairs, major medical concerns).
The American Red Cross has counted 174 active cases.  The trailer park
remains closed and the residents probably will never return to live there.
Needs are great among the evacuees, many who are elderly on fixed incomes,
physically and/or mentally challenged, and young working poor families.

In other parts of the country, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response continues
the church's commitment to bring help and hope to disaster survivors for
the long haul.

> In North Carolina, additional funding will secure materials, staffing,
and provide for direct interfaith cooperation between Lutheran volunteers
and the Christian Reformed Church, Church of the Brethren, and Reformed
Church of America.  This response to Hurricane Floyd (1999) will continue
into the summer.  So far over $1.7 million of Lutheran funds (from all
Lutheran Disaster Response Coalition partners) have been coordinated in
this response.

> In Los Alamos, New Mexico, financial, spiritual, and emotional support is
being provided as the community approaches the first anniversary of
destructive fires.

> In Alabama, Lutheran and Episcopal efforts bring volunteers and relief
services to tornado survivors.

> In Oklahoma City counseling continues for people who experienced the
worst tornado in U.S. history (May 1999).

> In St. Croix, the Virgin Islands, additional funds continue a project to
prepare individuals, houses, and church leaders for hurricanes.  Workers
make homes "hurricane-proof," particularly for people living in poverty,
the elderly, and people with disabilities.  Funds also enable disaster
preparation work, recovery efforts, and case workers who address human
needs.  The next hurricane season begins in June.

> Additional ELCA development support was offered to Lutheran Social
Service of Minnesota to help provide "Camp Noah," a weeklong day camp for
children who have survived weather disasters.

> Lutheran Disaster Response (the cooperative ministry of the ELCA and The
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod) has provided for an additional six months
response to fires in Montana.

> Lutheran Services Florida received seed money to enable quick response to
fires, floods, and the hurricanes.  A response to flooding in Miami-Dade
County continues.

> Lutheran Family Services in Oregon and in Washington received a grant to
help disaster-related programs such as "Moses Movers," designed to
transport supplies in pick-up trucks after disaster, and the Native
American Liaison for Disaster Response in Oregon.  Drought conditions in
the Oregon prairies will likely produce fires this season.  Funds will
support disaster preparation efforts, maintenance, and response.

> At this moment, a response is in preparation for tornadoes in Pontatoc,
Mississippi.  Assessments are being made as I write this report.  At least
five people have died from the tornado that struck last Saturday, February
24.  Initial reports indicate some 300 homes were either destroyed or
damaged.

Sometimes people wonder about so much destruction and devastation.  As we
approach Lent, we remember that we live in an imperfect world in which we
have little control.  But we also remember that ultimately God is in
control, and works through those who respond to need with prayers,
contributions, and hands-on service.  Please continue prayers for those
whose lives are forever changed because of the chaos and loss of natural
disasters.  And pray, too, for those who are responding, that they may be
strengthened in their ministries.

You can help with the on-going efforts and in immediate response to new
disasters by your generous gifts.  Please send your contributions to:

    ELCA DOMESTIC Disaster Response
    PO Box 71764
    Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764

        Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
        Credit card gifts via the web: www.elca.org/disaster

    LC-MS World Relief
    P.O. Box 66861
    St. Louis, MO 63166-9810

        Credit card gift line: 1-888-930-4438

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Tue, Feb 27, 2001,11:44 am).  Director for
  ELCA DOMESTIC DISASTER RESPONSE (Division for Church in Society) and
  LUTHERAN DISASTER RESPONSE (a cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LC-MS)
  8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822 FAX: 773-380-2493
Please visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster