16th Sunday After Pentecost – Proper 20
1 Timothy 2:1-7

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and
thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high
positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness
and dignity.  This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our
Savior, 4 who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of
the truth.  For
        there is one God;
        there is also one mediator between God and humankind,
        Christ Jesus, himself human,
        who gave himself a ransom for all —
this was attested at the right time.  For this I was appointed a herald
and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the
Gentiles in faith and truth.