Dear friends in Christ,

For the second time in two years, a major disaster has impacted Texas.  Early assessment by The American Red Cross indicate that more than 48,000 houses may have been affected by floods this past week, following days of torrential rains in central and south Texas.  In some places the rivers crested as high as 28 feet above flood stage.  The flooding has caused twelve deaths and tens of millions of dollars damage.  Water levels are beginning to fall in the affected areas, but, as the floodwaters mover toward the Gulf of Mexico, hundreds are being evacuated and more houses will be flooded.  President Bush has approved federal aid for 13 counties. Gov. Rick Perry has requested that an additional 17 counties be considered for federal declaration.

Lutheran Disaster Response, a cooperative ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, will manage this latest Texas disaster through Lutheran Social Services of the South (Kurt Senske, President).  Mark Minick serves as the LDR-TX disaster response coordinator.  LSS-S has sustained it's own disaster: its New Life Children’s Residential Treatment Center received extensive damages when flood waters topped Canyon Dam.  “Based on what we have been able to see from a distance, we believe it will require at least $2 million to rebuild” reported President Senske.  LSS-S is also coordinating the LDR response to last year's Tropical Storm Allison major flooding in the Houston area.

LDR Construction Coordinators, Dale and Jean Peercy, are joining Mark Minick to do some initial damage assessment and preparation for local volunteers to assist with cleaning up the results of water and mud in from the flooded Guadalupe River.  Piles of soggy possessions are already appearing on street sides through the neighborhood of New Braunfels, where people are just now returning from their evacuation.

Damage assessments will continue throughout the next weeks.  LDR is preparing to work with the LCMS Texas District (James Linderman, President) and the ELCA Southwestern Texas Synod (Ray Tiemann, Bishop).  LDR will also participate in interfaith efforts as they are organized in affected communities.

The National Weather Service in Fort Worth indicates that a low-pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico could become the first tropical depression of the season in the next day or so.   It has the potential of dumping more rain on the already-saturated and flooded areas.

We are just beginning to know the needs of this disaster.  You can help the church in this response:

>> Through your prayers.  The prayers of God's people are far more powerful than these roaring flood waters.  Your prayers will sustain those who are now returning to mud-filled houses, destroyed neighborhoods, lost treasured items.  And they will sustain those who are responding, providing a helping hand and words of faith and encouragement.

>> Through your volunteering.  Initially, only local volunteers can be used effectively.  When volunteers systems are in place and teams or individuals can be utilized, I will provide that information to you.

>> Through your generosity.  Your contributions will provide the resources needed to assist with immediate emergency needs, cleanup provisions, long term rebuilding supplies, as well as spiritual/emotional counseling.

Please send your contributions to:

ELCA DOMESTIC Disaster Response – “Texas Floods”
PO Box 71764 Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764
Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
Credit card gifts via the web: www.elca.org/disaster;

LC-MS World Relief - “Texas Floods”
P.O. Box 66861
St. Louis, MO 63166-9810
Credit card gift line: 1-888-930-4438.

Yours in Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Wed, Jul 8, 2002, at  4:19 pm).  Director for
ELCA DOMESTIC DISASTER RESPONSE (Division for Church in Society) and
LUTHERAN DISASTER RESPONSE (a cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LC-MS)
8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2719 FAX: 773-380-2493