Dear friends in Christ,

"I don't want to attend a meal where the talk will be about 9/11, planes crashing, buildings falling, sadness."  These were messages Janet Bouman, LDR-New York "Project LIFE" Coordinator, heard as a Thanksgiving gathering was being planned.

I just returned from New York, where Monday evening I joined 300 people for a Thanksgiving meal, some for whom LDR-New York (through Project LIFE) makes connections with resources and assists in setting new life directions.  Each family either lost a loved one, housing, and/or jobs because of the 9/11 attacks.  The evening was "light," intergenerational, and cross-cultural.  A balloon artist and a magician provided fun for children and adults.  Bishop Stephen Bouman read Psalm 23 as part of his closing remarks, and people were sent home with a bag of groceries and a turkey voucher.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  As I look forward to a day with close friends and family, these New York days are fresh in my mind and heart.

Yesterday John Scibilia (LDR-NY coordinator) and I met with Cathy Jagow (LCMS Atlantic District) and nine pastors serving immigrant congregations.  Their stories were surprisingly similar. Members of Philip's African congregation were cab drivers or worked in the World Trade Center area.  They're either unemployed or have greatly reduced hours and salaries.  Members are depressed, worrying about their next meal, job, or rent payment.  Many are leaving New York.  James members in Queens come from Ghana.  Refugees "back home" are waiting to come.  Their finances are down, their rents are up.  Some have gotten jobs because of Project LIFE.  Tim's congregation is Japanese.  Some worked in WTC banks and institutions. One man who survived the Kobe earthquake was working WTC tower two.  Sam ministers with a Korean congregation.  Members usually friendly and hopeful, are now frustrated, joyless, and out of work.  Johnson's members come from Sri Lanka.  People paid money to come to t!
his country to find jobs.  There are few opportunities, and many are moving to other states and Canada.  In James' Bengali congregation, offerings dropped 40-50 percent and members experience racial profiling and animosity.  "I, as a pastor, see the people's agony," he said.

John Scibilia was able to connect LDR-NY programs to help needs under discussion.  The pastors expressed deep appreciation for the help of LDR-NY and the support of the Atlantic District.

As we sit down to our Thanksgiving feasts, remember that many can not do the same. According to a recent New York hunger survey, people who lost their jobs or income as a result of both the 9/11 attacks and the recession are flooding the city's food pantries and soup kitchens.  Soup kitchens and food pantries fed 45 percent more people in 2002 than in 2000.  The gap between demand and resources forced agencies to turn away an estimated 349,776 New Yorkers (of whom 84,672 were children and 19,432 were senior citizens), who were forced to either go hungry or look elsewhere for food.  This huge jump in "turn aways" since 2000 marks a 241% increase overall and a remarkable 218% increase among children.

As I reflect on this challenge, I also think of the thousands affected by the recent 1000-mile string of tornadoes and storms, and the thousands impacted this year by wind and floods, fires and tornadoes.  But I also think of Monday evening, of Project LIFE helping put lives back together, of LDR responders across the country through whom God offers new life through the presence and labors of others.  For as I witness lives and communities across our country torn apart from time to time and place to place, I also see God's presence, God's love, as God's people live out their ministry and offer help and hope to others.

For what are you giving thanks this Thanksgiving?

I give thanks for the strength, faith, and courage of people who have suffered so much this year, for individuals and families in Michigan and Maryland, West Virginia and Minnesota, in Arizona and Colorado, in Illinois and Nebraska, in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, in Ohio and Louisiana and Alabama and Tennessee - and in New Jersey and Washington D.C. and New York City.

I give thanks for church staff and colleagues, for Synods and Districts, social ministry organizations, for Lutheran Coalition members and for other faith partners with whom we are privileged to offer help and hope.

I give thanks for faithful pastors and lay members others who proclaim the Gospel by word and action.

I give thanks for hundreds of volunteers who travel to unknown places to help unknown people rebuild houses and lives.

I give thanks for you - countless individuals and congregations - who pour out your love, prayers, financial support, compassion, and caring.

And with the whole church I give thanks for the grace of God that upholds and sustains us all.

   "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil;
   for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
   You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me;
   you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.
   Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
   And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Yours in Christ,
Gil Furst

Gilbert B. Furst  (Written on 11/27/02, at 5:40 PM)  Director for
  ELCA DOMESTIC DISASTER RESPONSE (Division for Church in Society) and
  LUTHERAN DISASTER RESPONSE (a cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LC-MS)
  8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822 FAX: 773-380-2493
Please visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster