January 7, 2005

ELCA Wellness Team, Mayo Clinic Offer 2005 Health Risk Assessment
05-003-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- As part of their "Healthy Leaders Enhance
Lives" wellness campaign, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) Board of Pensions, Minneapolis, and ELCA Division
for Ministry teamed up with Mayo Clinic Health Management
Resources, Rochester, Minn., to offer ELCA leaders, employees and
family members use of the Mayo Clinic Health Risk Assessment from
Jan. 6 through March 13 at http://www.elcaforwellness.org/ on the
Web.
     "The health risk assessment will help people get moving in
2005.  To do so, we encourage people to focus on ways they can
increase physical activity and decrease their caloric intake,"
said the Rev. Ronald T. Glusenkamp, vice president for
church/sponsor relations, ELCA Board of Pensions.  "Healthy
leaders really do enhance lives, including their own," he said.
     The interactive online program allows users to assess their
health risks and develop plans to stay healthy.  Users provide
health-related information, such as blood pressure, weight, and
cholesterol and glucose counts.
     "It's confidential.  It's quick.  It's easy to do.  It's
free.  And it just might save a life," Glusenkamp said.  Each
user must first register and designate a password to protect her
or his information.
     Nearly 12,000 people registered at the Web site since August
2003, which shows that members of the ELCA health plan are
interested in improving their health and wellness, Glusenkamp
said.  "They understand the importance of leading a healthier
life.  Our hope is that even more church leaders increase their
health literacy by using Mayo Clinic's rich resources," he said.
     "Finding balance in our lives helps us to live well in
Christ," said Tammy Devine, wellness coordinator, ELCA Board of
Pensions.  Devine is a registered nurse and an ELCA diaconal
minister who works for the Board in collaboration with the ELCA
Division for Ministry.  "It is when we are living well in Christ
that we are able to pass on the faith," she said.
     "As leaders in the church we respond to God's people from
our sense of call and compassion.  Often we tend to overextend
ourselves.  Our self-care comes only after we have given to
others.  This year, instead of forfeiting goals for personal well-
being, we can resolve to ponder those changes we are ready to
embrace," Devine said.
     As an incentive, those who complete the program may receive
a free copy of The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook, Concise Edition,
which includes 50 recipes.  The Web site will remain active after
the assessment period, providing health information from Mayo
Clinic.

ELCA Board of Pensions named Blue Cross Champion of Health
     Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota presented the ELCA
Board of Pensions with its 2004 Champions of Health award on Dec.
7 "for promoting health and wellness within its own organization
and to its members under the initiative 'Healthy Leaders Enhance
Lives,'" according to a Blue Cross news release.
     Blue Cross donated $500 in the ELCA Board of Pensions' name
to the health-related charity of its choice -- St. Mary's Health
Clinics, based in St. Paul, Minn.
     The goals of the Healthy Leaders Enhance Lives campaign are
"to improve the health of their members not only from a physical
standpoint but from a mental aspect as well," Blue Cross said.
Through a variety of healthy activities and promotions, "the ELCA
Board of Pensions has gone above and beyond in their efforts to
promote health and wellness," it said.
     "For us to ask our members to become healthy leaders who
enhance lives, we needed to model health and wellness ourselves,"
said John G. Kapanke, president, ELCA Board of Pensions.  "We
appreciate receiving the Blue Cross Champions of Health award
because it recognizes that organizations need to walk the talk
when promoting health," he said.
     Blue Cross sponsors Champions of Health "to celebrate unsung
heroes who raise awareness, educate and motivate people about the
importance of working together for the health of the community."
     "Organizations such as the ELCA Board of Pensions change
lives by making their communities a healthier place to live,"
said Dr. Mark Banks, president, Blue Cross.  "Blue Cross is proud
to highlight these efforts and encourages others to get
involved," he said.
-- -- --
     The home page of the ELCA Board of Pensions is at
http://www.elcabop.org/ on the Web.  The Division for Ministry's
wellness information is at http://www.elca.org/dm/health/ on the
ELCA Web site.
     Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota provides information
about its Champions of Health award at
http://www.bluecrossmn.com/ on the Web.  Information about St.
Mary's Health Clinics is at http://www.stmaryshealthclinics.org/
on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news