December 16, 2005

ELCA Member Ronald Schulz Held Hostage in Iraq
05-240-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Ronald A. Schulz, a member of St. John
Lutheran Church, Jamestown, N.D., a congregation of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), was taken hostage
on or about Nov. 25 in Iraq.  An Iraqi insurgent group claimed
Dec. 8 to have killed Schulz, but the claim could not be
confirmed by any other source.
     The Rev. Kathie Bender Schwich, executive for synodical and
constituent relations, and assistant to the presiding bishop,
ELCA Office of the Presiding Bishop, wrote Dec. 12 to the
congregation's pastors -- the Rev. Dennis H. Ellingsen and the
Rev. Douglas F. Opp.
     She told the pastors she learned of "the wonderful ways you
have pulled members of the Jamestown community and members of the
St. John faith community together to offer support and comfort to
the Schulz family during this time of anxiety and uncertainty."
     "Know that we give thanks to God for your ministry there.
We continue to hold all of you in prayer as you wait, and watch,
and worry," Schwich wrote.
     Opp told the ELCA News Service that St. John hosted prayer
vigils from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Dec. 9 and Dec. 15 that included
"guided prayer time" with Scripture readings and reflections.
Some Schulz family members attended.
     "The family has been pleased with the support from the
congregation and the community in this difficult time," Opp said.
While not serving as a spokesperson for the family, he said the
church has acted as a "go-between" to protect the family's
privacy.
     Opp said the congregation is considering another vigil in
January.  It is also exploring the value of vigils, he said, and
a January vigil would be open to the needs of others.
     Members of the Schulz family held a Dec. 8 news conference
in Fargo, N.D., to issue a plea for Ronald's immediate release.
His sister Julie Schulz read a prepared statement directed at
Ronald's kidnappers.
     "We're working on the assumption that he's alive.  Until we
get confirmation that he's not, that's what we're hoping for,"
Julie Schulz said.
     Ronald Schulz, 40, graduated in 1983 from Jamestown High
School and served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1984 to 1991.  He
moved to Eagle River, Alaska, near Anchorage, and worked as an
industrial electrician at sites around the world, while
maintaining his membership at St. John Lutheran Church in
Jamestown.
     North Dakota Governor John Hoeven issued a Dec. 8 statement:
"We extend our sympathy to Ron's family and friends during their
ordeal, and continue to pray for him and the other hostages still
in the custody of terrorists.  We have spoken to Ron's family and
expressed the support of all North Dakotans for them in these
difficult times."

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog