April 16, 2007

Andrew Genszler Named Director of ELCA Advocacy, Washington Office
07-056-AL

     WASHINGTON (ELCA) -- Andrew D. Genszler will become director
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Advocacy
Department and the ELCA Washington Office on May 1.
     Genszler has served as the director for domestic policy,
ELCA Washington Office, since Sept. 2005.  He succeeds Karen S.
Vagley, who resigned effective April 30 after four years in the
role. The Advocacy Department, ELCA Church in Society, is
comprised of the ELCA Washington Office here; the Lutheran Office
for World Community, New York; ELCA Corporate Social
Responsibility, Pittsburgh; and 20 state advocacy offices
throughout the United States.
     "Andrew brings a unique combination of experience and skills
to this position, which will significantly strengthen this
church's commitment to advocacy in the years ahead," said the
Rev. Rebecca S. Larson, executive director, ELCA Church and
Society. "He is exceptionally gifted at linking theological
understanding with public policy practice, and he does so in a
way that teaches and builds participation."
     Genszler, 37, was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Ohio.
After earning a bachelor of arts degree in political science at
Wittenberg University, Springfield, Ohio, in 1991, he received a
master of divinity degree from Trinity Lutheran Seminary,
Columbus, Ohio, in 2000 and a master's degree in Christian ethics
from the University of Oxford, England, in 2004. Genszler also
earned a master's degree in sacred theology from Lutheran
Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, Gettysburg, Pa., in 2002,
while serving as a domestic policy intern at the Lutheran Office
for Governmental Affairs, which is now the ELCA Washington
Office.
     Wittenberg University is one of 28 ELCA colleges and
universities; Trinity Lutheran Seminary and the Lutheran
Theological Seminary at Gettysburg are two of eight ELCA
seminaries.
     From 2001 to 2002, Genszler served as associate director for
public policy in the Lutheran Services in America here. He also
worked for the Interfaith Hospitality Network in Cleveland, from
2004 to 2005.
     Genszler described the ministry of advocacy as "part of our
gospel mandate as Christians," which can build upon the church's
existing charity and service efforts.
     "We've got to see our Lutheran church, our Christian faith,
not as a monument but as a movement," said Genszler. "We can take
advantage of the synergy that happens when you look at the
connections between our great charitable and volunteer work, like
along the Gulf Coast, and the opportunities that open up to
actually change policy."
     An active member of Augustana Lutheran Church here, Genszler
said he "comes from a family of Lutheran pastors and high school
teachers," including his father, the Rev. David A. Genszler,
Cleveland.
---
     Audio comments of Andrew Genszler are at:
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/070414a.mp3
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/070414b.mp3

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog