October 15, 2008

Stewardship Tips for Congregations in a Time of Financial Crisis
08-176-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The fall is generally a time when many
congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) invite members to make an annual financial pledge or
estimate of giving to the church.  But given the current economic
downturn in the United States, some Lutherans may find it
difficult to remain steadfast in their giving as the Sunday
morning offering plate travels across the pew.
     "Financial downturns create uncertainty and fear," said Ed
Kruse, ELCA director for stewardship.  But Kruse said that
"generosity has never been a matter of how much money we have."
He offered several tips for congregations who "want to grow a
culture of generosity."
     Kruse's message to congregations is not to ignore the
economic downturn and not to panic.  "It's important for
congregations and pastors to address financial factors in ways
that do not escalate fear, nor as we are wearing rose-colored
glasses," he said.
     A second tip Kruse offered is to transform spending habits.
Congregations are well advised to review their entire spending
plan as soon as possible, identify any "bad spending habits" and
ask questions like "Where is God in the decision-making process?
What do we hear God saying to us?" said Kruse.  "Or is God
saying, 'Just trust me.  I have been with you throughout your
life, as a family and as a congregation.  I'm not going to
abandon you now.'"  Although the spiritual message may be that
"it's going to be OK," said Kruse, spirituality, reason, logic
and "the math" suggests different things to different people.
"It's important to take people's anxiety seriously," he said.
     The financial downturn is also a good time to build a
reserve for the future, said Kruse.  "Is this a time to quit
saving?  Absolutely not, it's just the opposite.  As a family, as
a congregation, we can do that.  That kind of thinking is not
short-sighted.  It's solid."
     Another tip Kruse offered is staying on a percentage giving
plan, such as tithing or proportional giving.  When maintaining a
percentage with lower income, the actual amount of money goes
down, and that flows from our discipleship, our faith practice,
he said.  "There shouldn't be guilt if people need to make a
decision to reduce their percentage of giving, because here the
gospel trumps the law."
     Kruse said congregations are taking creative approaches to
stewardship.  One congregation decided to check in with members
and listen to how the economic downtown is affecting them.
     Another congregation "is unsure if the church will be able
to remain open for the rest of the year.  For such a
congregation," said Kruse, "it was helpful to call the synod and
ask someone for help in evaluating the situation."
     There are two principles that seem to be in operation for
Lutheran congregations in light of the U.S. financial downtown,
said Kruse.  First, "What are the warnings that God is
encouraging us to notice, without leading people to feel guilty,
as we take corrective action or make mid-course corrections?
Second, how do we encourage continued generosity without sounding
self-serving?" he said.
     "A reduction of income simply does not affect the spirit of
generosity in one's heart," said Kruse.  He said Lutherans "do
not give because we have to but because we have grateful hearts
to God in Christ."
- - -
     Information about ELCA stewardship is at
http://www.ELCA.org/Stewardship on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog