December 25, 2008

ELCA Seminary Presidents, Deans Address Current Economic Challenges
08-202-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Presidents and deans of the eight seminaries
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) issued two
separate statements regarding their seminaries' reactions to the
current economic climate in the United States.  The presidents
asked ELCA members for "understanding, support and continuing
strong commitment."
     Trying to keep tuitions low while churchwide support declined,
seminaries have stepped up fundraising efforts, the presidents
wrote in a Nov. 21 letter.  The Rev. Michael L. Cooper-White,
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, Pa., issued the
letter as current chair of the seminary presidents' meetings.
     "Recent economic downturns have affected fundraising and
increased pressures on each school," they said.  "As endowment
value declines, there is less ability to rely on long-term
income-generating sources."
     "Seminaries that carry debt incurred in addressing major
deferred maintenance and other capital projects are experiencing
especially high stress levels as the economic recession
deepens," the presidents wrote.
     The seminary presidents expressed their gratitude for the
support of individuals, congregations, synods and other ELCA
leaders "in particularly trying times."  They committed
themselves to "redouble efforts to be the best possible stewards
of funds entrusted to us" through "strategic alliances with all
willing partners."
     The presidents' statement came in the wake of decisions by
Wartburg Theological Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa, to approve a
strategic plan that included the release of faculty, staff and
programs.
     In an Oct. 31 open letter to seminary faculty, staff and
students, the seminary deans wrote, "None of our schools (has)
escaped the economic challenges of recent years -- challenges
that have deepened as the United States faces significant
questions about how its citizens will flourish in perilous
times."  They named a range of belt-tightening responses and
wrote, "We want to find ways forward that do not jeopardize
vital educational ministries at a time they are so greatly
needed."
     "We write to say that we are finding in our common work
together a surprising unleashing of imagination, perhaps born
of necessity, but which also has a gift-like quality.  We have
committed ourselves to working with our respective faculties
to talk about unprecedented levels of collaboration and to
carefully exploring with one another the protocols that may
lead to new educational mission initiatives," the deans wrote.
     The eight U.S. deans met with deans of the two seminaries
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, noting each
seminary has a unique identity "and yet have in common the
hope that Lutheran seminaries will do their work in such a
gospel spirit that we will contribute, along with so many
others who are laboring in their own vineyards, to the renewal
of the church's witness to the world."
     Other than Cooper-White the presidents of ELCA seminaries
are:
+ The Rev. Phyllis B. Anderson, Pacific Lutheran Theological
Seminary, Berkeley, Calif.
+ The Rev. Richard H. Bliese, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn.
+ The Rev. James K. Echols, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
+ The Rev. Philip D.W. Krey, Lutheran Theological Seminary
at Philadelphia
+ The Rev. Duane H. Larson, Wartburg Theological Seminary,
Dubuque, Iowa
+ The Rev. Marcus J. Miller, Lutheran Theological Southern
Seminary, Columbia, S.C.
+ The Rev. Mark R. Ramseth, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus,
Ohio

Related Story:
ELCA's Wartburg Theological Seminary Restructures Positions,
Programs http://archive.ELCA.org/news/releases.asp?a=3996

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog