SCROLL DOWN FOR FEBRUARY 20 AND FEBRUARY 27

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

February 20, 2011 (Seventh Sunday after Epiphany)

Leviticus 19:1-2, 9-18
Leviticus opens with the command to be holy because God is holy. In the modern context, we can often equate holiness with piety or inner virtue.   Many of the Old Testament purity laws address ritual impurity, those exterior things that are a threat to holiness. This week’s lesson adds some (perhaps surprisingly) concrete moral practices to the holiness codes.

Holiness in this text is not simply an inward disposition or avoidance of certain impure things. God’s people are holy when they leave parts of their fields unharvested for those who are poor and marginalized to glean. There are many amazing gleaning programs that are feeding many people (see, for example, Feeding America, www.feedingamerica.org; the Society of Saint Andrew, www.endhunger.org; and Foods Resource Bank, www.foodsresourcebank.org). How else might we leave portions of our “fields” unharvested for those who are hungry?

God’s people are holy by paying just wages. God’s people are holy when they look out for the interests of those who are vulnerable.  God’s people are holy when they do not profit from the blood of their neighbor (on what this might mean, check out “The Story of Stuff,” www.storyofstuff.org). By loving one’s neighbor as one’s self—this is not an appeal to how one feels about their neighbor, but a call to action—we bear witness to the Lord.

Psalm 119:33-40 (33)
1 Corinthians 3:10-11, 16-23

Matthew 5:38-48
The history of interpretation on this weeks Gospel is quite divided. The earliest Christians (pre-Constantine) thought it a threat to one’s salvation to join the military, or in the case of converted soldiers, to remain in the military. Later Christians, following the lead of Augustine, saw military as essential to maintaining peace. War and poverty are closely intertwined, and the principle that seems to be operative in Jesus’ teaching is that love for neighbor is what matters most. In the reading from Leviticus, we see that love for neighbor must be worked out in concrete ways. In any conflict we may encounter, the question is how do we make sure that those who are poorest and most vulnerable are protected? What might love of neighbor look like in the current unrest in Egypt and Tunisia and the rest of the Arab world? How can we more fully live into the vision Jesus sets before us?

David Creech
Director of Hunger Education, ELCA World Hunger

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

February 27, 2011 (Eighth Sunday after Epiphany)

Isaiah 49:8-16a
Psalm 131 (2)
1 Corinthians 4:1-5
Matthew 6:24-34
In the wake of the worst economic slump that most of us have ever experienced we have found ourselves worrying—about our jobs, about our homes, about our future. In times like this we want to clinch our fists tightly around what we have out of fear of losing it. But Jesus encourages the opposite—to give generously (Matt 6:22-23) and to trust God to look out for your needs, just as God cares for the birds and the lilies.