SCROLL DOWN FOR JUNE 19 AND JUNE 26

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

June 19, 2011 (First Sunday after Pentecost, The Holy Trinity)

Genesis 1:1-2:4a
Psalm 8 (1)
2 Corinthians 13:11-13
Matthew 28:16-20
When Jesus commissions the apostles, he tells them to make disciples of all nations. We often stop reading the passage at this mandate. Jesus goes on, however, to tell the disciples to teach others to obey his commands. This hearkens back to Jesus’ teaching throughout Matthew, conveniently divided into five blocks of material: chapters 5-7, 10, 13, 18, and 24-25. A brief survey of the teaching reveals an eschatological ethic that is rooted in a deep concern for those who are poor and vulnerable. Jesus tells his followers not to worry (Matt 6) but to feed those who are hungry, give water to those who are thirsty, welcome the stranger, and so on (Matt 25). We will be much more effective teachers if we live by the values we are called to proclaim. As Holy Trinity Sunday reminds us, this is all done by the power of the Holy Spirit.

David Creech
Director of Hunger Education, ELCA World Hunger

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

June 26, 2011 (Second Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary 13)

Complementary Series
Jeremiah 28:5-9
Psalm 89:1-4, 15-18 (1)
Romans 6:12-23
Matthew 10:40-42
This week’s Gospel reading comes at the end of Jesus commission of the twelve disciples. He sends them out to proclaim a message that in many ways challenges conventional norms and mores. The commission concludes with promise of a reward to those who meet the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable.