SCROLL DOWN FOR DECEMBER 30, 2012
Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!
The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads –sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!
December 30, 2012 The First Sunday of Christmas
Psalm 148:1-14
Psalm 148 is a praise hymn for all creation. We give God thanks for all creation. And we remember that we are called to be good stewards of all creation: earth and sky, land and water, plant and animal. How might we improve our care and stewardship of all creation? And in doing so, help to overcome issues of the oppressed: hunger, thirst, land use, disease, and poverty.
Colossians 3:12-17
The Apostle commends us to bear with one another all the burdens of each other. We are called to walk with the hungry and thirsty, bearing their burdens as our own; because they are ours. We are called to clothe ourselves with love, which binds us with all people. We respond in compassion, humility, meekness, patience, forgiveness, love and peace. We care for one another, because Christ has united us.
Rev. Michael L. Poole, Jr.
Pastor of Pleasant City Lutheran Parish (Harmony Lutheran Church - Buffalo OH, St. Paul Lutheran Church - Pleasant City OH, Mt. Zion Lutheran Church - Pleasant City OH) and co-founder of "Potlucks to End World Hunger."