ELCA Department for Communication, News & Information
8765 West Higgins Rd, Chicago, IL  60631  800/638-3522 ext. 2963

HEADLINES FOR ELCA NEWS RELEASE ISSUE #06, March 7, 1995

-- CMM RESTORES ETHNIC DIRECTORSHIPS
-- UPSALA COLLEGE CLOSING ITS DOORS
-- ELCA EXPLORES STaR CONGREGATIONS
-- CHURCH LEADERS CALL FOR OPEN NEGOTIATIONS ON
JERUSALEM

March 7, 1995

CMM RESTORES ETHNIC DIRECTORSHIPS
95-06-019-95

        CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America's Commission for Multicultural Ministries (CMM) will restore the
ethnic ministry director/coordinator positions that were eliminated a year
ago.  The new positions will include additional responsibilities.   CMM's
steering committee made the decision here Feb. 24-25 after hours of
discussion about staffing options.
        CMM leadership has been struggling with how to staff the
commission since March 1994 when restructuring caused confusion and
anger.  "I've heard people say the ELCA has taken back its commitment to
be multicultural," said the Rev. Edmond Yee, Berkeley, Calif., chair of the
steering committee.
        At the March 1994 meeting the steering committee voted to
eliminate the African American, Asian, Hispanic and Native American
"desks" and establish instead one coordinating director for ethnic
ministries.  That director coordinated the efforts of four consultants.
Two full-time executive staff members lost their jobs.
        At its October 1994 meeting the steering committee apologized to
all who "have suffered confusion, pain and/or anger" following
restructuring and acknowledged "The impact of this action has caused
unrest and apparent lack of trust in this steering committee and the
Commission for Multicultural Ministries."
        A meeting was held later in October with the Rev. Herbert W.
Chilstrom, bishop of the ELCA, 10 members of the steering committee, 12
representatives of the four ethnic associations, two people from the
white community and five CMM staff members.  Participants agreed to
explore the possibility of replacing the ethnic ministry consultants with
ethnic ministry director/coordinators.
        "For the past year negative stories and rumors have been spread
about the commission and its ministry," said the Rev. Frederick E.N.
Rajan, executive director of CMM.  "These acts were not one-time events
but a year of pounding on the commission."
        The church was not being served by the elimination of directors,
said the Rev. Arthur B. Wyse, Bridgeport, Conn., president of the
Hispanic Lutheran Association.  "The perception is, by cutting the ethnic
ministry directors the church doesn't really care for us."
        The mood of the African American Lutheran Association is
disappointment, anger and frustration, said the Rev. Cheryl
Stewart-Pero, Chicago, president of the association.  "We are angry the
associations weren't asked to participate in the original decision" to
restructure the commission.
        Rajan presented five staffing options to the group.  "We are
gathered here for a very significant steering committee meeting where
the decision we make will indeed impact the work of this commission,"
said Rajan.  "I approach this meeting with tension and hope."
        "We only have so much money to work with," said Daphne
Gustafson, Fairbanks, Alaska.  "We have to ask, what can we get for
it?"
        "If we go back to ethnic ministry directors, we need to cut dollars
in other areas of the commission," said Rajan.
        We are not bringing back what was, said Inez Torres Davis,
Chicago.  "We are shaping something new.  God is leading us to
something new."
        In the past we have been reactive in a negative way, said LeRoy
Zimmerman, St. Louis, Mo.  "This is our chance to be pro-active.  I rejoice
in that."
        The steering committee chose the option that would have the
least impact on the overall budget of the unit, said Rajan.  "This option
means we are adding only one new executive staff person and we
could carry out the mandates of the commission without much difficulty."
        In the new staffing arrangement program directors will have
additional responsibilities.  Staff will include an:

                * executive director,
                * assistant director of administration,
                * director for African American ministries and synodical
ministries,
                * director for Asian ministries and Multicultural Mission
Strategy,
                * director for Hispanic ministries and leadership
development,
                * director for Native American ministries and racial justice
ministries, and
                * four support staff.

        Rajan will move forward immediately to implement the plan.
Current CMM staff will be offered the reconfigured positions.  If all
accept, only the position of director for Native American ministries and
racial justice will need additional staffing.  On Feb. 27 Rajan sent a
certified letter to the four consultants notifying them their contracts
would be terminated in 30 days.
        "This has been a tough year for the CMM staff and steering
committee," said Rajan.  "We have had to focus and make some intense
decisions.  At times conflict is healthy for the life of our church.  I am glad
for all the work we have done."

##########

March 7, 1995

UPSALA COLLEGE CLOSING ITS DOORS
95-06-020-LC

        CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Upsala College, East Orange, N.J., an
institution of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is closing its
doors after 102 years in higher education.  Upsala has faced severe
financial strain because of its inability to restructure and refinance debts.
        A written ballot, submitted by all members of the board of trustees
by March 2, indicated that Upsala College should proceed toward a
cessation of its operations and move toward liquidation.  About 56
faculty and 45 staff will lose their jobs.
        "For more than 100 years Upsala College has been a strong
witness of the church in higher education.  Thousands of lives have
been shaped by the college for witness and service in the world," said
the Rev. Herbert W. Chilstrom, bishop of the ELCA.  "We give thanks to
God for all who have served faithfully as faculty, administration and staff
persons for all these years."
        "With the loss of Upsala, we lose an outpost, an important
outpost,"  said Dr. James Unglaube, ELCA director for colleges and
universities.  "It is a significant loss for us.