To: [log in to unmask]

1206 (of 1206) LEON PHILLIPS July 02, 1997 at 20:51 Eastern (3385
characters)

Yesterday and today I have been talking to pastors, outreach workers, synod
leaders and other folks here in the flood ravished areas of North Dakota
and Minnesota. People are tired. Cleanup is almost finished. Walls have
been torn down, ceiling tiles ripped off and discarded, water soaked
furniture dragged out to the curb. Walls of debris lined the streets,and
now they have mostly been hauled away. The cleanup is ending much sooner
than anyone thought, after more hard work than anyone could have imagined.
And now, having come through weeks of the tough physical fight to save
their towns, followed by months of shovelling mud and cleaning up .....
folks here are facing repair and rebuilding.

The work goes on- thanks to hundreds of volunteers, thanks to your support,
and thanks to the strong, determined spirit of the people who live here. In
all of that work this summer, it touched me deeply to see how commited our
local Lutheran Disaster Response is to remembering the children. For them
this will not be a summer of parks and swimming pools and picnics.  But
this week Lutheran Disaster Response began a series of summer day camps
that will be held in sites throughout the flood areas. "Camp Noah". The
first camp started in Ada, Minnesota, and was filled to capacity.  One of
the partner churches of Grace, Ada, was there... members from a
congregation near Albert Lee, Mn.  Their own church burned down. But here
they were with gifts and with themselves - to help the children of Ada.
"We cried together," one of the outreach workers said, "and then we got to
work."  Is there any better sign of what it means to be the family of
Christ; to bear - and to share- each other's burdens ?  And then there was
the toy distribution in Grand Forks/East Grand Forks this month. It all
began with an eight year old boy in Michigan who told his parents and
school friends "Those children must need new toys."  Hundreds of toys.
Ninety new bicycles.  All arriving in a huge trailer. A tent staffed by
Lutheran Disaster Response, and lots and lots of boys and girls waiting
patiently for their turn to go in the tent and pick their toy.

The work goes on.  And the play goes on for the children, thank
God. The needs now come down to these three: (l) volunteers to help
rebuild... put up wallboard, ceilings, do spackling, painting...  both
skilled workers and general workers ( preferably within the same group!). A
single 800 number now can register volunteers for both Minnesota and North
Dakota Flood areas.  1-800-582-5260.  The main need for rebuilding
volunteers will begin about the end of July.  (2)  Building materials.  We
have a warehouse now in Grand Forks/East Grand Forks and are exploring
others elsewhere. We need wallboard, etc. in quantity.  Or, of course,
money to buy it.  Call LSS/LDR North Dakota, at 1-800-950-2901. (3) Money.
Your financial support will help keep Lutheran relief operations going and
will support congregations who need your help !  Contributions can be sent
to ELCA Domestic Disaster Response/ PO Box 71764/Chicago, IL 60694-1764.

LEON PHILLIPS  7:56 pm Wed, Jul  2, 1997
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response( Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response ( a cooperative ministry of ELCA and LCMS)
Phone:  610-776-8390    FAX:  610-776-8392
e-mail:[log in to unmask]   WEBSITE  http://www.elca.org/dcs/disaster