To: [log in to unmask]

1230 (of 1230) LEON PHILLIPS July 17, 1997 at 18:52 Eastern (2717
characters)

The mud is invisible now beneath the green grass, and stately trees are in
full leaf, shading the streets of Grand Forks as they have for decades.
But there are piles of ruble along the curbs- trash that was once the
furniture and household goods of a family, still being hauled out three
months after the tragic flood.  House after house on this magnificent
street - beautiful old homes that survived almost a century- are not only
empty, but gutted.  They await decisions on whether a new dike will require
their demolition.

Everyone we talked to in Grand Forks and East Grand Forks seems to be
waiting.  Waiting for their homes to finally dry out. Waiting for water to
stop seeping into the basements. Waiting for the river to finally get below
flood stage and stay there ( today it is at flood stage; contained, but a
silent reminder). Waiting for homes to be demolished. Waiting for new homes
to be built.

Some families - and some of our congregations as well- are finding damage
they did not know of before.  One pastor spoke eloquently today of the
"overwhelming support by the whole church that has sustained me and my
family. I don't know how I would have made it without that," he said. And
he spoke of the bad days as well, the frustrations, the weariness, the
ongoing battle, and living in part of a house.  Yes, people can and do
experience both the sustaining grace of God and an overwhelming sense of
burden at the same time, in the same human reality.

Our disaster response staff is being increased; a construction supervisor
(from Alaska !) will soon be on hand; more than an estimated 2,000
volunteers have helped so far; outreach workers ( as many as 101 of them
under a state-sponsored joint effort of Lutherans and Northeast Services)
have made more than 10,000 visits; over 700 congregations have signed on
as "Partner Congregations".  But it is you and your prayers and your
support and the powerful message that they are not forgotten that sustains
our sisters and brothers here. I wish you could hear that in the moving and
eloquent language I heard today from fellow pastors..... eight of them,
every single one of whom faces severe loss in his or her own home !

    To Volunteer:  In North Dakota or Minnesota, 800-987-0061
                   In South Dakota, 800-568-2401

    To Contribute, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
                   PO Box 71764   Chicago, IL 60694

LEON PHILLIPS  6:18 pm Thu, Jul 17, 1997
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response( Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response ( a cooperative ministry of ELCA and LCMS)
Phone:  610-776-8390    FAX:  610-776-8392
e-mail:[log in to unmask]   WEBSITE  http://www.elca.org/dcs/disaster