To: [log in to unmask]

1264 (of 1264) LEON PHILLIPS Aug. 18, 1997 at 21:49 Eastern (2045
characters)

This past Sunday morning I worshipped at my home congregation, St.
Stephen's, in Allentown, Pennsylvania - a not exactly common experience
with the travel schedule of this year.  I was surprised when a group was
called to the altar, and sent off with prayer to travel five hundred miles
to the Ohio River Valley, where they will help repair and rebuild homes
damaged by last Spring's floods there.  It was a moving experience for me
to be part of a congregation praying for these volunteers in disaster
response... and commissioning them to ministry.  Clearly, the folks in
church Sunday saw their volunteer work as a ministry of our own
congregation, and viewed these volunteers as their own ambassadors of
Christian love and compassion.

I am sure this scene has been repeated in countless congregations during
the terrible disasters of this year. This particular Sunday morning, in my
own congregation, it was a powerful reminder to me that it is MINISTRY we
are about in disaster response, and in fact the ministry of the
congregations of the ELCA.  Thank God for the women, men and youth who
carry their congregation's ministry - and the ELCA's.. to places of need !
I hope this note of thanks will reach some of you who have been volunteers
in disaster - as many as six thousand in this past year and a half.  The
whole church does well to give praise to God for the gifts these volunteers
bring- the gift of God's own love and the love of God's people for one
another, gifts beyond price.  And to that praise I am sure the folks in the
Red River Valley, Ohio River Valley, Arkansas, Fort Collins, Colorado, the
Virgin Islands - all places where disaster volunteers have served this
year- would want to say a loud and clear "AMEN."

LEON PHILLIPS  9:19 pm Mon, Aug 18, 1997
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response( Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response ( a cooperative ministry of ELCA and LCMS)
Phone:  610-776-8390    FAX:  610-776-8392
e-mail:[log in to unmask]   WEBSITE  http://www.elca.org/dcs/disaster