Title: Lutherans Approve "Full Communion" with Reformed Churches
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 18, 1997

LUTHERANS APPROVE "FULL COMMUNION" WITH REFORMED CHURCHES
97-CA-22-CA

     PHILADELPHIA (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
today approved a proposal declaring "full communion" with three churches of
the Reformed tradition -- the Presbyterian Church (USA), the Reformed
Church in America, and the United Church of Christ.
     Voting members of the ELCA Churchwide Assembly voted 839-193 (81.3
percent - 18.7 percent) on the "Formula of Agreement."
     A few minutes later a similar measure declaring full fellowship with
The Episcopal Church fell six votes short of approval.
     The declaration of full communion is not a plan to merge, but it
commits the churches to sharing in their mission work locally and
internationally and to develop procedures whereby clergy in one
denomination may pastor a church in another denomination.
     The proposals grew out of several decades of theological
conversation.
     Following the vote, a statement from the Rev. Daniel Martensen,
director of the ELCA's department of ecumenical affiars, said, "The
Christian community in the United States is less fragmented than it was
just a few months ago."  Martensen said the decisions set the stage for
"exciting ecumenical advances to be made as we move into the next
millennium."
     The failure of the Episcopal proposal dampened the spirits of the
representatives of the Reformed Church who nonetheless enthusiastically
welcomed the other decision.
     "It is a moment of mixed feelings, a difficult moment for us," said
the Rev. John Thomas, ecumenical officer of the United Church of Christ.
"Many of our colleagues are feeling pain and sorrow."
     "We are committed to the whole of the ecumenical movement, not just a
piece of it," Thomas said. "Whenever a church finds itself unable to move
forward, we have a deep sense of disappointment."
     Though his church came under sharp criticism from some speakers at
the assembly, Thomas expressed "appreciation of the way the issue was
debated and discussed."
     "Lutherans have helped us all be aware of the theological ground on
which we stand and the need to tend that ground," Thomas said. "Full
communion allows us to call each other to tend that ground, to help and to
admonish one another."
     The Rev. Douglas Fromm of the Reformed Church in America expressed
satisfaction at the declaration of fellowship and recalled that he had
hoped such an action would have been taken years ago.  Such action was
indeed taken by the American Lutheran Church -- one of the three bodies
that merged in 1987 to form the ELCA.  Because the other partners to the
ELCA merger had not taken that action, the decision was set aside at the
time of the merger.
     A statement, prepared by the heads of the four denominations, and
released when the vote total was announced said the decision marked a
"decisive milestone in our journey towards unity and signals the beginning
of a new chapter in the history of these four churches of the 16th century
Reformation."
     Noting that some in the churches opposed the decision, the statement
said "we know that some in our churches will not be able to receive this
action with enthusiasm.  Their continued questions and reservations are to
be heard and respected."
     A joint commission of the denominations will now begin to formulate
ways to implement the decision.  The individual presbyteries -- regional
units -- of the Presbyterian Church (USA) must also ratify the decision of
their general convention.

For information contact:

Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html