Title: ELCA Publishing House Prepares for Move
ELCA NEWS SERVICE - NEWSBRIEF

December 4, 1997

AUGSBURG FORTRESS PREPARES FOR MOVE

Augsburg Fortress Publishers, the publishing house
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America,
acknowledged on Nov. 5 the years of work done in
the buildings at 426 S. Fifth St. in Minneapolis.
The Rev. Marvin L. Roloff, president and CEO,
said, "It's a time for our publishing community
to give thanks for the rich heritage that has
shaped our current ministry of publishing, and
also a time to praise God for vision as we look to
the future."  The celebration was for everyone
associated with the buildings since the beginning
of this century, Roloff said.  The property was
purchased by Hennepin County in 1997 for $8.25
million as the site of a correctional  facility.
About 250 people gathered for a worship service
involving Roloff, the Rev. Lowell G. Almen,
Secretary of the ELCA, the Rev. David W. Preus,
President Emeritus, the American Lutheran Church,
and Lutheran publishing executives Albert E.
Anderson and the Rev. Robert Endruschat.  A "Tour
of Remembrance" highlighted areas of historic
interest throughout the buildings, a desktop
publishing demonstration and opportunities to
visit with former publishing house and church
employees. Augsburg Fortress will move to new
corporate offices at 100 S. Fifth Street, Suite
700, on Dec. 12.  A procession from the old
buildings to 100 Fifth Street Towers is planned
for the morning of Dec. 15.  The complex of
buildings occupied by Augsburg Fortress was home
to predecessor publishing houses and other
Lutheran organizations dating back to 1908.  In
addition to Augsburg Publishing House the
buildings housed the United Norwegian Lutheran
Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and the
American Lutheran Church.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html