To: [log in to unmask]

Dear friends in Christ,

Many of you are concerned about the situation in Central Florida following
the destructive tornadoes.  Here is an edited report from Dr. Gary
Harbaugh (a Florida Bahamas synod staff member and disaster response
consultant) that was posted to the synod's online meeting last evening.  In
his report, Dr. Harbaugh provides an update on the present situation, and
offers suggestions on how to respond in these initial days.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

To:   Florida-Bahamas Colleagues in Ministry
From: Office of the Bishop William Trexler
Date: Feb. 23, 1998

Colleagues from the synod and beyond have called asking how they can be
supportive to those affected by the Central Florida tornadoes.  I assessed
damage in one of those areas this afternoon, Osceola County.  The death
toll in Osceola alone has been updated to 20, according to Pastor Pete
Zieg, Trinity, Kissimmee.  Tornadoes were also reported in the Winter
Garden area, Volusia County, and north of Orlando.  Lutheran Services of
Florida will help in assessing damages in these areas.

On behalf of the Bishop, I have been in communication with Lutheran
Disaster Response and tomorrow will attend an interfaith disaster meeting
in Orlando.

Those who have asked how to help:

Where the Bishop knows that help is definitely going to be needed, but in
the early stages of assessment before we know specifically what kind of
help, how much, and where, the most useful support is monetary.  Money
provides the greatest flexibility in responding to needs, not all of which
are known.

According to synodical disaster response procedures, disaster contributions
can be sent either to ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, PO Box 71764,
Chicago, IL 60694-7164 designated for use in Florida, or to the Synod
House, 3838 W.  Cypress St., Tampa, FL  33607, designated for use in
tornado relief.

Friends outside the synod should not send contributions directly to the
synod, but to ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, Chicago, designated for
Florida disaster relief.

Lutheran Disaster Response has already advanced funds for immediate use,
for which we are grateful.  Contributions to ELCA Domestic Disaster
Response, Chicago, will help offset this advance.

Sending contributions either to Chicago DDR or to the Synod will assure
that funds will be used in disaster relief where needed most, and as
equitably as possible.  Sending directly to individual congregations runs
the risk that some areas will be well supported, while others equally in
need may not be.  That is why the synodical procedures call for
contributions, appropriately designated, to be sent either to DDR Chicago
or to the Synod in Tampa.  Designated funds are used for the purpose
designated.

Some colleagues have indicated that they may be able to share Ash Wednesday
offerings for disaster relief.  Others may not be able to help in this way,
but whatever ways you can will be appreciated.  Prayerful support is needed
that those dealing with losses and those trying to recover are strengthened
and experience through our care the presence and love of Christ.

Dr. Gary Harbaugh
Office of the Bishop for Leadership Support
Florida-Bahamas Synod, ELCA

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Tue, Feb 24, 1998, at 10:03 am)
Associate Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
Internet address: [log in to unmask]
For more information, click on our web site:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster