To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Christian friends,

The hearts of America have been shocked and turned to sorrow over the
recent schoolyard ambush that killed four students and a teacher in
Jonesboro, Arkansas.  This senseless act of violence has left that
community, if not the entire country, in grief and mourning, doing
soul-searching and self-examination.

Our Savior Lutheran Church, Jonesboro, and its pastor, Laird Duran, have
been reaching out in ministry to the families and school staff.  In the
midst of this great tragedy, a message of hope is being offered to the
grieving and hopeless.

Lutheran Disaster Response is helping to extend that Gospel message.  LDR
is sending Dr. Foster McCurley and Rabbi Alan Weitzman, authors of "Making
Sense out of Sorrow," to Jonesboro to help the community begin to come to
grips with their grief and loss.  They will offer in a number of settings a
Biblical perspective to this heartbreaking situation.  A small cash grant
has also been sent to enable a Lutheran presence in developing caregiving
for the pastors, faculty members, and others who are helping in this
situation.

As we approach the end of Lent, we people of the cross remember that we do
not walk alone through that dark "valley of the shadow of death."  Please
keep our brothers and sisters in Jonesboro-and all who are suffering the
loss of life and property throughout the country--in your prayers and in
you hearts, that God may be a strong and loving presence in us and through
us.

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Wed, Apr  1, 1998, at 10:12 pm)
Associate Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
Internet address: [log in to unmask]
For more information, click on our web site:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster