To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Christian friends,

"We are people of the cross, resurrection people, people of hope and new
life."  I often use these words as I speak in disaster situations, because
from the depth of my being I believe these words are true.

In the middle of this Holy Week - April 7 and 8 - Leon Phillips and I have
been present in southwest Minnesota.  Last week tornadoes tore a 68-mile
path of devastation across a five-county area, especially impacting the
communities of St. Peter and Comfrey, and affecting rural and farm
families.  We were present with Bishop H. George Anderson as he made a
pastoral visit yesterday to forty of our sisters and brothers, at First
Lutheran Church, in St. Peter.

"My first concern is about you pastors affected in this area," Bishop
Anderson began.  "We need to let you know that what you are doing is
important for the whole church, and we will support you in what you're
doing."  He asked the pastors and spouses, synod staff members, college
chaplain, retired professor, and tornado survivors to describe their damage
and special needs.  We heard of near-death experiences, of sudden
destruction with little warning; of people with minor shingle and tree
damage and of chimneys falling through the roof; of members whose houses
have been destroyed or condemned; of loss, of grief, of weariness.  But as
the stories were told -- one after another of hardship and heartache --
there was a balance of hope and relief.  Bishop Anderson also heard of
ecumenical worship services being held to offer thanks for no deaths; of
gratitude for thousands of volunteers and quick cleanup; of the quick
response of Lutheran Disaster Response through Lutheran Social Services of
Minnesota; of the healing presence and new energy cleanup volunteers bring;
of getting up and moving onward to a "new norm" of life, to new
possibilities of ministry and service.  We people of the cross, we
resurrection people, are people of hope, of new life.

Bishop Anderson noted that there are long-term effects and issues in this
disaster situation.  "You are in good hands with Lutheran Disaster
Response," he noted.  "LDR will be around not just when this disaster is in
the headlines.  Listen to and work with the LDR folks.  They know the whole
story, not just the headline stuff."  Bishop Anderson also said, "Please
take care of yourselves."  He noted that Jesus took a lot of "time away" to
be with God's healing strength and to get some distance from problems.
"Pace yourselves, pull out of things, so you can understand why you're
here, to take care of the spiritual issues of the people."  He observed
that the Easter texts would offer great help, but he also suggested the
Psalms were a wonderful resource to help people see the issues and affirm
the faith.  He closed his visit by reflecting on Psalm 34:17, "The
righteous cry and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their
troubles."  We are resurrection people, people of hope and new life.

As Leon Philips continued the meeting, I traveled with Bishop Anderson and
Bishop Stan Olson to the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College.  The major
debris has been removed, but the famous trees that crowned the campus are
gone.  We meet with President Axel Steuer in his office.  He reflected on
the amazing outpouring of support, and reported that a meeting is being
held this week on reopening the college (April 20 is the goal).  Temporary
classrooms are being set up, the residents' halls are mostly OK, insurance
will cover damage in the big buildings, and tree replanting is beginning.
"Gustavus Adolphus is not only alive, but moving forward with energy," he
stated.  "The tornado was not the act of God.  The act of God is that the
students weren't here, but were on spring break.  We're doing well."  We
are resurrection people, people of hope and new life.

Dennis Johnson, vice president for college relations, noted that when
Chaplain Brian Johnson walked toward Christ Chapel the morning after the
tornado, he saw the spire was twisted and down and windows were blown out.
But as he entered the chapel, he saw the sanctuary lamp swaying in the
breeze...and the flame was still burning.  "That image of the eternal
flame, the symbol of God's presence, has kept the light of hope burning
within all members of the Gustavus family."  He expects the chapel to be
reopened this fall, and hopes that some weddings scheduled this summer can
be held in the chapel.

Here we are, in the middle of Holy Week, walking with our Lord to the
cross.  But this journey will not end at the cross, but at the empty tomb.
We are people of the cross, resurrection people, people of hope and new
life.  As our brothers and sisters in southwest Minnesota enter into the
coming months of cleaning up and rebuilding houses, of restoring lives and
communities and worship spaces, let us be part of their hope, their new
life.

You can help by

> your faithful and regular prayers of support
> your contributions to
    ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
    PO Box 71764
    Chicago, IL 60694-1764
> your volunteering, by calling:
    Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota/LDR  1-800-987-0061

May God add blessings, strength, and grace to the people of the cross,
God's resurrection people, as we live out hope and participate in new life.

Yours in Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST (written on Wed, Apr  8, 1998, at 10:31 pm)
Associate Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
Internet address: [log in to unmask]
For more information, click on our web site:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster