To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Christian Friends,

I'm writing this report from southeast Ohio, where two weeks ago tornado-
force winds and flash floods caused widespread damage and destruction.
Because of the scope of the storms (from Iowa through New England), this
one never made the headlines.  The estimated damage from this summer storm,
affecting 23 Ohio counties, is second only to last year's flood -- which
was the state's worst natural disaster.  Primarily affecting small rural
communities and farms (especially in Guernsey, Noble, and Washington
counties), even now streams are swollen, dams are dangerously high, and new
rainstorms are predicted tomorrow.  ELCA Domestic Disaster Response and
Lutheran Disaster Response are responding to this southeast Ohio disaster
through Lutheran Family Services of Central Ohio, the Rev. Nelson Meyer
president.

This morning Johanna Olson (Assistant for ELCA Domestic Disaster Response)
and I met in Cambridge, Ohio, with ten pastors, Southern Ohio Synod staff
member Margaret Messick, and Barbara Peterson (disaster coordinator for
LSS-Central Ohio).  The pastors described how their rural communities and
members have been affected, including many poor and elderly persons.  They
spoke of the fury of the storm winds, and ferocity of the flash floods that
swept through narrow passes, and the grief and anger being experienced due
to the loss of houses and lives.

In the early afternoon we took a first-hand look at the rural damage, as we
were driven through numerous small towns (including Senecaville, Derwent,
Marietta, Ava, Coal Ridge, Belle Valley, and Caldwell).  The stench of
decaying vegetation filled our nostrils.  We saw fields with destroyed
crops, piles of debris in front of houses, flooded roads and washed-out
bridges.  Cleanup efforts continue, and volunteers are needed.

At a later meeting of a Lutheran strategy team, steps were taken to
coordinate equitable distribution of financial grants, and to identify a
person to serve as a local coordinator to oversee the relief efforts.
Partners in this strategy team will include representatives of AAL, LB, LSS
of Central Ohio, SE Ohio Synod, and the Ohio District (LCMS).

Damage assessment continues even now, and some communities are still
inaccessible.  When a local coordinator is identified and an office
established, I will provide a name and telephone number for you to contact
so you can help in cleanup and recovery.

Meanwhile, your prayers for the survivors of this latest disaster, this
hidden disaster, will be supportive and uplifting. Your contributions to
help in this new disaster relief effort may be sent to:

  ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
  PO Box 71764
  Chicago, IL 60694-1764

Thank you for your continuing assistance in ministering to those affected
by the unrelenting disasters of this spring and early summer.

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST  (written on Wed, Jul 15, 1998, at 10:01 pm)
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response (Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response (A cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LCMS)
8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822  FAX: 773-380-2493
Visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster