To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Christian brothers and sisters,

Lutheran Disaster Response is responding to two days of torrential rain
that caused significant flooding last week in southeast Wisconsin.  Most
severely affected are Sheboygan and Milwaukee counties.  In the Sheboygan
area, hundreds of people were evacuated, approximately 200 houses have been
damaged, and there were two fatalities.

LDR is coordinating relief efforts through Lutheran Counseling and Family
Services of Wisconsin (Ms. Lois Schroeder, LDR disaster coordinator), along
with the Greater Milwaukee Synod (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America)
and the South Wisconsin District (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod).  They
will be working closely together to assess immediate needs.  There have
been no reports of damage to any ELCA congregations, although two LCMS
congregations received some damage, and individual members may well have
been affected.

At present we do not have information on when, how, or even if volunteers
will be helpful in this situation.  We will keep you posted on this as
quickly as information becomes available.  Emergency disaster grants will
be provided as specific needs are assessed.  You can help by sending
contributions to the ELCA Domestic Disaster Response Fund, P.O. Box #71764,
Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764.

Remember in your prayers the people of southeast Wisconsin -- and many
others across our country --  who suffer from the severity of recent summer
storms and their terrible aftermath.

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST  (written on Fri, Aug 14, 1998, at 10:55 am)
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response (Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response (A cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LCMS)
8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822  FAX: 773-380-2493
Visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster