To: [log in to unmask]

Dear friends in Christ,

I'm writing this quick report in the darkness of San Juan, Puerto Rico,
where two days ago Hurricane Georges - the worst hurricane here in 70 years
- tore through this island with devastating force.  There is no electricity
here and in most of the city, and in the more rural and remote areas there
will be no electricity for three weeks or more.

I traveled this day with Bishop Francisco Sosa (ELCA Caribbean Synod) and
the Rev. Rafael Malpica (former Bishop and now with ELCA Division for
Global Mission).  Everywhere the scene is of downed and twisted trees,
people standing in lines for drinking water, houses without roofs, curbs
lined with debris, and fields filled with water.  Concrete houses now built
in Puerto Rico have by and large withstood the hurricane forces.  But older
wooden and tin-roofed houses are badly damaged or blown away by the
tornadoes spawned by Georges.

We visited several pastors and survivors today.  Pastor Javier Goitia and
his wife in Santa Barbara were busy cleaning up debris from their yard.
They were thankful that their house was spared major damage.  We came upon
a heart-wrenching scene in "Villa 2000" in Las Parcelas Higuillas.  Here,
in this community of 600 houses, over 400 houses are damaged or destroyed.
We spoke with a young couple, who gestured to what appeared to be a vacant
lot.  This is where their house stood only two days ago.  Now there is
nothing left but a section of the floor.  The entire community, from one
side of the horizon to the other, lies in ruins.

Outside my open windows this dark humid night the tree frogs are, according
to legend, singing out their names.  I know, too, that outside my windows
thousands of people are raising their voices to God -- giving thanks for
God's presence in the midst of the storm - asking for signs of hope in what
seems a hopeless situation - whispering soft words of encouragement to
frightened children.

I also know that across our church people are raising their voices, too -
praying God's strength and blessings for the people affected (or soon to be
affected) by Hurricane Georges - and asking, "How can I help."  It is too
soon to give that answer, as the assessment of this situation continues and
the nature of our response is finalized.  Tomorrow we will travel by plane
and boat to the Virgin Islands, where the damage is considered "moderate."
I will send you an update as soon as it is physically possible.

May all who sleep this night in the humid darkness of the Caribbean know
that God hears their prayers, and is present to give compassion and relief
through those who bear his name.

Yours in Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST  (written on Thu, Sep 24, 1998, at 11:22 pm)
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response (Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response (A cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LCMS)
8765 W.  Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822  FAX: 773-380-2493
Visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster