To: [log in to unmask]

Dear friends in Christ,

"The Lord is good to those who seek his face in time of sorrow, providing
comfort to the weak and grace for each tomorrow.  Though grief may tarry
for the night, the morn shall break in joy and light with blessings from
his presence."  So the words of a Finnish hymn setting of Psalm 34 describe
the presence and compassion of God in times of need and sorrow.

ELCA Domestic Disaster Response and Lutheran Disaster Response (a
cooperative ministry with Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) is preparing to
respond to Hurricane Georges, which tore across the Virgin Islands and
Puerto Rico yesterday (September 22) and early this morning.  There have
been reports of at least six fatalities, and widespread damage to houses
and commercial buildings.  Many areas devastated by the hurricane are
closed to relief efforts, because of dangerous debris that must be removed.

As of this initial report, I have been unable to establish telephone
communications with anyone on the Virgin Islands.  I spoke this afternoon
with Bishop Franciso Sosa (ELCA Caribbean Synod), who reports that several
congregations in Puerto Rico have had structural damage, and "there are a
lot of houses with substantial damage and trees lost."  LCMS mission
congregations in the western part of Puerto Rico are being contacted for
damage assessment.

As soon as the airport is open for commercial traffic, I will lead an LDR
team to establish a church response effort.  Needs and damages on the VI
will be assessed by Lutheran Social Services of the Virgin Islands (Chris
Finch, president).  It is all but certain that volunteers will be needed to
help with cleanup and repairs.  Counseling services will be provided for
those who are living through yet one more disastrous hurricane.

A more detailed report will be posted as soon as I have additional
information, including information on how to volunteer.  We will initiate
immediate relief activities and develop a recovery program, working with
Church World Service to involve a broad spectrum of the faith community.

Hurricane Georges is a cruel and destructive visitor at the end of this
summer season, and continues to pose a threat to the U.S. mainland.  But
the promise to God's people, through God's people, is to provide "comfort
to the weak and grace for each tomorrow."

You can help now by keeping in your prayers our brothers and sisters who
have been affected by Hurricane Georges.  You can help by sending
contributions to:

 ELCA Domestic Disaster Response - "Hurricanes"
 PO Box 71764
 Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764

 Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522

 LCMS World Relief
 P.O. Box 66861
 St. Louis, MO 63166-9810

 Credit card gift line: 1-888-930-4438

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST  (written on Tue, Sep 22, 1998, at  5:19 pm)
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response (Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response (A cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LCMS)
8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822  FAX: 773-380-2493
Visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster