To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Christian friends,

"We have no power, no water, some phone connections, and damage."  So
Pastor Angel Perez, who serves a Lutheran congregation in Mayaguez (on the
Puerto Rican west coast) reported when I spoke with him on Tuesday.

I am returning from three-days in Puerto Rico, where the situation is
already different from early last week.  Chaos is giving way to the reality
of loss - "we have no roof, we have no furniture, we have no clothes, we
have no house."  Many areas have no electricity or telephone service.
Streets and roads are lined with branches, twisted roofing, ruined clothes,
damaged furnishings.  Blue tarps are beginning to cover exposed ribs of
broken roofs.  There have been six suicides.  Statistics continue to rise
(45,000 houses destroyed, 45,000 damaged).  People are angry (at the
government, FEMA, the Red Cross, the church, even God).  These are the
normal dynamics of every disaster.

But there is another constant, too.  The church is here, offering immediate
relief and preparing to help over the long haul.  These days included many
meetings for Bishop Sosa (ELCA Caribbean Synod), Lynn Askew (LDR Disaster
Team), Brooke Burkey (LDR construction advisor), and me:  with leaders of
other faith communities and voluntary agencies, with representatives of
FEMA and the Red Cross, with a mayor and community representative, a
seminary president, parish pastors, volunteers, and survivors.

Lutheran Disaster Response is participating in relief efforts by
distributing tarps, food, medical supplies, and clothing).  Forty people
from Dorado whose houses were destroyed are being housed at the synod's
Camp Eduardo Voig.  Housing is being prepared for volunteers from outside
Puerto Rico.  Local LDR staffing is being expanded to provide coordination
of and meals for volunteers and to help manage the response.  The first
distribution of emergency cash grants has been made, and the first division
of grants to homeowners is being calculated.

This morning we helped members of area Lutheran congregations unload and
sort local contributions of food and clothing, of adult personal items and
children's playthings.  They brought these donations to Reconciliacion
Lutheran Church, which will serve as a distribution center.

When people of faith see others in need - no power, no water, no roof, no
house - we reach out to others with the same love God has touched our lives
in Jesus Christ.  How can you help?

-- In your personal and congregational prayers, remember all whose lives
have been filled with the grief of loss by Hurricane Georges

-- Volunteers are needed immediately for debris removal and emergency
tarping.  We will have a direct "800" number installed to our Puerto Rico
LDR office within the next week (or two).  Until then, please call my
assistant, Ms. Johanna Olson (1-773-380-2822) for details.

-- Your cash contributions are crucial to provide for people's immediate
needs, as well as to enable a long-term response.

Please send your contributions to:

ELCA DOMESTIC Disaster Response - "Hurricanes"
PO Box 71764
Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764

 Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522

LCMS World Relief
P.O. Box 66861
St. Louis, MO 63166-9810

 Credit card gift line:  1-888-930-4438

In Christ,
Gil Furst

GILBERT B. FURST  (written on Thu, Oct  8, 1998, at  3:48 pm)
Director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response (Division for Church in Society),
Lutheran Disaster Response (A cooperative ministry of the ELCA and LCMS)
8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago 60631  PHONE: 773-380-2822  FAX: 773-380-2493
Visit our website:  www.elca.org/dcs/disaster